Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Dec 29, 2004, 4:52 PM   #11

Here's something I noticed. Your sample photo's and PYoung's both have a shutter speed of 1/60. At 1/60 with a fairly open aperture (f4.0 and f5.0) you are going to pick up some ambient light which is going to give you that yellow/red color cast. Camera may even try to balance ambient and flash??? At least that's my theory...

Here's a flash sample straight out of my camera. All i've done is resize. First I set Custom Function #3 which forces the shutter to 1/250 when using flash in Av mode. I then set the Aperture as necesary. So in the following sample the setings are:

Av Mode
ISO 400
Shutter 1/250
Aperture F8.0
Flash Exposure Comp. +2/3

I'm getting good results for this little built in flash. I think this sample show a very nice smooth exposure. This was taking in dim dinning room, no trace of ambient light...

hth,
john
Attached Images

Mr_Saginaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2004, 11:13 AM   #12

Yah...try using the white balance feature of the camera. The instructions will show how to use some kind of white card etc to set up what the colour 'white' should look like, and then tries to compensate for the colours introduced by the orange/yellow lamps. I can also see that the photo is slightly grainy/pixelated...possibly due to the low light conditions. The grain shows up even more after Mr_saginaw did some colour compensation.
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2004, 1:35 PM   #13

For anyone who has asked, I love my 580EX. It is by fat the best flash I have ever used. However, I have never used a Metz.... One of the things I like most about the 420EX and the 580EX is its ability to work well with balancing ambient light and flash together. I like shooting at slow shutter speeds with flash to get more ambient light creating warmer skin tones. The flash lightens the shadows and correct light color issues.

I have a Canon Digital Rebel and I don't think I have ever used the internal flash. Simply not powerfull enough for the kind of shooting I do, plus it pulls on the camera's internal battery dramtically reducing shooting time.

I don't use the +/_ 2/3 exp comp because I shoot manual all the time. This is required to shoot RAW with the Drebel. I set my flash to E-ttl or manual if I need to fix a problem like flash being too hot.
minutephotos.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2005, 12:54 AM   #14

Hi Mr_Saginaw,

Today I went to the car show and hope that pictures will came good, but some are just not good as I expected. If you can take a look at this ferrari.jpg photo. I remember I had the focus point on the car, but how come it came out not SHARP and too CLEAR. And other one SLR.jpg is little better. I really have no ideal what did I do wrong. Pictures are not being modified. You should be able to see the details informatin on it. I am using the stock lens. Should I get a better lens like the "L" series? I really want to take nice sharp and clear pictures, I don't think I have shake the camera and makes the pictures look bury. Help please.... :- (

http://216.185.138.94/20d/ferrari.jpg

http://216.185.138.94/20d/SLR.jpg

I followed your method to adjust the flash exposured to +2/3 in order to get little brighter. Just not happy with the blury pic. Little frustrated and should I sell the camera and get something else? I used to have the Digital Rebel and I think that quality pics is better than 20D. The reason I got the 20D is I assume this is better than that. May be I am wrong.

Best Regards

Ceddy

Ceddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2005, 4:51 AM   #15

Hi Ceddy, I have replied to your PM and there are my efforts at adjusting your Merc shot, this photois excellent in my opinion!

Attached Images

Freefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2005, 4:59 AM   #16

This one looks ok too after some sharpening etc.
Attached Images

Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2005, 11:56 AM   #17

Man that benz looks Good!

but when I look at the lines on the far side above the left head they are not smooth. Comming from an 8 MP file the lines souldn't break like that, is this because an already small jpg was edited and resaved loosing more resolution.

In any case the lighting definately looked better.

I think for the original photo I would suggest shooting RAW and using your RAW conversion tool to increase exposuse. You will have to learn to shoot manual after learning your camera autosettings. However, you will be able to increase brightness at the time of shoot. Also, use your camera's histogram. If your photos keep comming out dark open aperture more of decrease shutter speed. If neither of those work increase ISO. But, always try to use the lowest ISO possible.

And Yes, better lenses will always help. I have a Drebel now and won't get 20D until I have better lenses first.

PS

either you where too far away or your flash is not power full enough. The shadows are directly under the car which tells me the lighting was from the top mainly. The Canon Flashes either on camera or 420EX read and adjust to existing ambient light. With the 580EX or other manual flash you can manually override this telling the flast to fire at full power or fractions lower.

minutephotos.com is offline   Reply With Quote