Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Dec 26, 2004, 5:45 PM   #1

I took this picture last night at the Christmas party, the lighting at the living room was ok. I used my Canon 20d and use the built-in flash.

For some reason, it came out very RED. I can't even use photoshop to adjust it.

Is it because of my camera or the flash is no good. How do I avoid that problem. I have many pics from last night that came out red also. Very frustrated.

Should I buy the stronger external flash from canon?

I think I was using ISO 200 and set dial to ‘P' probably not automatic.

Hope experts can help me :sad:

Attached Images

Ceddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 26, 2004, 6:52 PM   #2

Your problem is white balance. You can fix this in Photoshop or Elements by selecting a white object in the picture (perhaps the white flowers on the table) under the "Enhancement" then "color" menu. Once the program knows what a white object should look like, it'll adjust all the colors in the picture.

In the future, you can set the white balance manually (perhaps to "flash" or "tungsten light") to reduce the problem or shoot in the RAW mode and adjust the white balance during file conversion.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2004, 8:40 PM   #3

hi ceddy...

hope you don't mind i tried to fix up your pic.

Basically it looked like your picture was underexposed. Unfortunately i couldn't see the EXIF data. You may want to try setting the Flash Exposure Compensation to +2/3 or +1. I've been very happy with the little built in flash... I set the WB to Flash and FEC to usually +2/3. I also shoot in Av mode to and adjust the aperture to get the DOF i'm looking for...

hth,
john
Attached Images

Mr_Saginaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2004, 1:22 AM   #4

Hi John,

Your modification is definitely look way better. But how do I change the exposure on the flash? Setting the Flash Exposure Compensation to +2/3 or +1? Are you using the same canon 20d?

Best Regards

Ceddy
Old Dec 27, 2004, 2:29 PM   #5

yep, i'm using a 20D... might be easier for me to point out the spot in manual than trying to describe it...

In your little 20D manual turn to page 96 - Flash Exposure Compensation. Basically press the lightning bolt-+/- button and then turn the big dial on the back of the camera..

hth
john
Mr_Saginaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2004, 3:10 PM   #6

I use the Canon 580EX flash and have not had an underexposed photo yet. Sometimes I have the oposite problem where the flash is too hot and causes hotspots on white or light skinned people. There clothes will come out great, but forehead and cheeks are sometimes washed out. I fix this by bouncing flash off the ceiling which works great. I tried the +2/3 setting with hack on DRebel and fore me this did not really help much when using internal flash or 420ex flash.

But, 580EX does a great job and would be even better on your 20D.

PS

from looking at your photo it looks like on of your multifucus point was the bright light hanging from ceiling. Your camera may have compensated for this bright object and made everything dark to not overexpose light. Make sure your focus points in camer are lighting up on the objects that are important to you.

minutephotos.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2004, 3:48 PM   #7

Hi Ceddy: I also bought an EOS20D a few days before Christmas and all my Christmas Party photos came out about 1 to 1.5 stops too dark. I contacted Canon and they told me to send my camera in for evaluation because it doesn't look right based on the EXIF information in the photos. I have read in other forums that this is a problem with other 20D users. Here is one typical photo

Attached Images

PYoung2493 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2004, 3:49 PM   #8

Wow, that's a nice photo. Phil
PYoung2493 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2004, 4:11 PM   #9

Hi PYoung2493,

Wow your picture is definitely not acceptable. And your camera is brand new right. You might want to send it back to have them repair. Cause it doesn't look right at all.

The attached picture is taken on the same night with in the kitchen. Came out way better than the dining room.

Regards

Ceddy

Attached Images

Old Dec 29, 2004, 4:13 PM   #10

Do you recommend getting the 580EX ? I really think just by adjust the +/- exposure for the built-in flash is still not good enough. Am I right?

Regards

Ceddy