Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Dec 27, 2004, 12:41 PM   #1

I recently received a P41 and I've been taking a ton of pictures with it. My problem is that no matter how steady I hold the camera, about half of the pics are blurry. This is true in all sorts of lighting conditions. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,

Draft
draft is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 27, 2004, 1:24 PM   #2

perhaps you could post a sample picture?
Mr_Saginaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2004, 10:23 PM   #3

You might be best to ask in the Sony forum. As an example, it takes time for all digicams to focus. Some will allow you to force an exposure before focusing.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2004, 11:14 AM   #4

Yep...
Attached Images

Old Dec 28, 2004, 11:21 AM   #5
Administrator

The likelyproblem is that your shutter speed was at 1/8 second (which is the speed the camera needed for proper exposure of the image in this lighting).

This is too slow to prevent blur from camera shake when indoors without a flash or tripod.

So, in similar lighting, you have a several choices:

1. Use the flash (by default, your camera would have used much faster shutter speeds with the flash, whichshould have eliminated blur from ambient light exposure).

or

2. Use a tripod

or

3. Increase ISO speed (but this will add noise).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2004, 1:48 PM   #6

Is this a "bad" camera? Would other cameras handle these situations better?
Old Dec 28, 2004, 2:42 PM   #7

It is not a "bad" camera. ALL cameras can do poorly when presented a set of circumstances that are not ideal. IOW, if you don't have enough light, you don't have enough light, and no camera is going to change that....

There are other cameras that can handle low light situations better than others. One just needs to find one with a faster lens.

PhilR.
PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2004, 6:35 AM   #8
Administrator

draft wrote:
Quote:
Is this a "bad" camera?
Not at all. The shutter speeds you'll be able to get indoors with it are typical for a well lit interior at ISO 100 using a compact camera.

I answer similar threads from users of many camera models on a very frequent basis (why are my photos blurry). ;-) More often than not, it's because they are not using the flash indoors.

Quote:
Would other cameras handle these situations better?
The vast majority of non-DSLR models would have the same problem trying to shoot indoors without a flash at ISO 100. To do significantly better, you'd need a model with a brighter lens and/or the ability to shoot at higher ISO speeds with lower noise levels. If your subjects are stationary, then a model with a stabilized lens can help (or you can simply use a tripod if you don't want to use a flash, and your subjects are not moving).

Most models have a lens that starts off at f/2.8 (the maximum available aperture, with smaller f/stop numbers representing a brighter lens). So, your camera is typical. This issue comes up frequently (users complaining about getting blurry photos indoors when they don't use the flash).

For indoor photos without a flash or tripod, a DSLR is the recommended solution. But, you'd still want a bright lens to go with one.This is because they have much larger sensors, and can shoot at higher ISO speeds with lower noise compared to the smaller non-DSLR models.

Of course, these will be larger and heavier solutions (especially when you factor in the cost of brighter lenses).A 50mm f/1.8 (non zoom) lens on a model like the Digital Rebel or Nikon D70 is a popular choice for shooting indoors without a flash (since it's quite bright, and is a lower cost lens compared to most). But, you'd need to make sure that you could live with it's focal length.

Again, there are other ways to get faster shutter speeds (for example, increasing ISO speed). Each time you double the ISO speed, the camera's autoexposure will be able to use shutter speeds twice as fast.

However, increasing ISO speed adds noise (similiar to film grain), which can degrade photo quality with a small camera. Indoor lighting appears much brighter to the human eye than it does to a camera's lens. So, in most indoor situations with yourSony, youmay need to use ISO400 to get shutter speeds fast enough to eliminate most motion blur from camera shake (provided your subject wasn't movingmuch). Most users would find ISO 400 to be objectionable from a noise perspective with anon-DSLR camera.

If you're in a situation where you are unable to use a flash or tripod, and need faster shutter speeds, increase ISO speed (at the expense of higher noise). A good free tool to reduce it is Noiseware (available from http://www.imagenomic.com).

To see a moredetailed explanation of why a camera has problems shooting indoors without a flash or tripod,read my posts in this thread:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...amp;forum_id=2

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote