Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Dec 29, 2004, 3:26 PM   #1

i have a casio qv-r61

all my shot of my son running a blurry. i cant adjust the shutter speed.

how can this camrera take such pics, ive tried changing iso rating but this dosnt effect the shutter speed
mochrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 29, 2004, 4:08 PM   #2

Have you tried setting the "BESTSHOT" mode to SPORT? (coupled with a higher ISO)

http://www.casio-europe.com/euro/dc/bestshot/sport

hth,
john
Mr_Saginaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2004, 4:18 PM   #3

Assuming you are using the correct shooting modes -- to freeze moving objects, one needs to do either of the following:

a) increase ISO (or film speed) which will allow faster shutter speeds.

b) increase shutter speed manually. If you don't have a manual option, then look for a shooting mode for moving objects (consult your instruction manual).

It would be odd to have a camera that wasn't capable of shutter speeds high enough to freeze a running human. Therefore, if the above doesn't work, then you just don't have enough light getting to the cameras brains, and therefore the camera will not be able to calculate an exposure setting with high shutter speeds. There is no getting around the fact that high shutter speeds need more light in order to work. How much light is actually needed depends on how fast the lens is on your particular camera.

Now - if you are *not* using the correct shooting modes, which is a distinct possibility, then you might let the readership here know what modes you are using.

PhilR.
PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2004, 4:27 PM   #4

the camera dosnt have a sport bestshot,

ive consulted the manual and there is nothing saying that it can do this,

it says the shutter speed goes up to 1/2000, best ive seen is about 1/60 , how do you get it to go quicker?

Old Dec 29, 2004, 4:45 PM   #5

hmmmm.... perhaps children or party bestshot? I have the ZX3 and while it's small, handy and easy to use it really lacks when it comes to doing any kind of settings... No way to tell it to just use the highest shutter speed possible... :evil:
Old Dec 29, 2004, 5:10 PM   #6

both child and party have 1/60 speed, whats the point in having a camera capable of 1/2000 when it never bloody does it.

i take it i cant just d/l the sport bestshot?
Old Dec 29, 2004, 5:18 PM   #7

yeah, that is kind of terrible...

I did look at some old pictures from my ZX3 and I see on a nice sunny day I've been able to get shutter speeds of 1/640 in the normal program mode...

Old Dec 29, 2004, 5:33 PM   #8
Administrator

mochrie wrote:
Quote:
both child and party have 1/60 speed, whats the point in having a camera capable of 1/2000 when it never bloody does it.
Are we talking outside photos, or inside with a flash. There's a big difference.

From what I can see, the Casios usually defaut to 1/60 second shutter speed with flash.This is typical (some cameras even use a slower 1/30 second shutter speed with flash).

If you had the flash turned off indoors, MUCH slower shutter speeds would be needed for proper exposure (typical indoor lighting is much darker than it appears to the human eye, and the camera must keep the shutter open long enough for proper exposure).

When using a flash indoors, shutter speeds are not as critical. This is because the flash burst is very short (usually around 1/1000 second or faster). Since the subjects are not usually exposed well enough by ambient lighting, the flash burst has the impact of freezing the action, regardless of shutter speeds.

But, what can happen is if you have too much ambient light indoors, then you can start to get some exposure from other light sources. For example, if you have sun shining in through a window, this could be enough light for a 1/60 second exposure to show some movement -- depending on your aperture and ISO speed. So, if you have higher than normal ambient lighting, it'ssometimes a better idea to keep ISO speeds set lower to prevent any exposure from light sources other than the flash.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2004, 7:36 PM   #9

If you are using flash indoors then the comments about flash sync speeds are appropriate.

Unfortunately, the QV-R61 does not have aperture or shutter priority modes. ( I am not sure if it has manual mode). IF it does not, then you are at the mercy of the camera's program modes.

On a bright sunny day, see if you can get the shutter speeds higher. That will give you the best chance to stop action.

Meryl Arbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2004, 3:47 AM   #10

Thanks for your help.

The action pics are mainly for outdoors, i tried it outside today (dull day) with the flash not on when i press the autofocus button it says on the display 1/8 in red so it obviously thinks its too dull. if i turn on flash the preview says it 1/60.

Now is this cause its a dull day so when its brighter i will get better shutter speeds or do you think i should get get another camera.