Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jan 2, 2005, 1:23 PM   #1

I just got a Canon PowerShot S500 and love it. I'm using the ZoomBrowser software that came with it (and Irfanview as well) and have a Canon i860 printer.

I prefer to print borderless photos, most in landscape, but when I send them to the printer they print with 1/2 white borders on the two sides (no borders appear on the top and bottom).

I don't want to stretch to fit as the image distorts. Is there any adjustment I can make to my settings so I can print borderless?

Thanks!
narnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 2, 2005, 7:04 PM   #2
Administrator

You'll need to crop your photos for the correct aspect ratio (ratio of width to height) for the print size you use.

For example, images from most digital cameras have an aspect ratio of 4:3, but 4x6" prints have an aspect ratio of 3:2.

See my last post in this thread for some tools that you can crop with:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=31

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2005, 10:05 PM   #3

What 'image size' is your camera set to save at? If it's set to small that may account for things. A recommendation would be to set the camera to save at the largest image size it can - then you can crop the photos in the photo editor or just when you print (the easy photo print software in zoombrowser will allow you to crop just the printing image without saving the 'cropped' version).
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2005, 5:09 AM   #4

Two solutions:

Look at your printersetting use the right print size to the paper format

Cut of the white broders from the left and right because if you resize the picture to the paperformat you get silly pictures, because of the one size fitting picture (in height or in width) in stead of overall fitting size of the paper.

The problem is the 4:3 ratio of the most camera's and the 3:2 ratio of the common print size. So you have to crop the pictures to the 3:2 ratio by yourself instead of the printing service: or put in f.i. Photoshop the canvas size to the right 3:2 ratio and put your picture in the middele
image4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2005, 10:23 PM   #5

Thank you all for your responses.

I don't think the problem is image size, as my pictures are 2592 x 1944 (.jpg's).

I installed Canon's Easy-PhotoPrint software to correct the aspect ratio and can't run the program. I get a dialog box that says:

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
Runtime Error!
Program:C:\ProFiles\Canon\Easy-PhotoPrint\BJEZPRN.exe
abnormal program termination

The only option I have is to click OK to close the
box. I can't run the program.

FYI, I am using a Dell Dimension 4800 PIII, 1GhZ with
512 RAM and Windows XP.

Do you know why I can't run this software?

(I also have a Canon PowerShot G5, which I was using on an older PC with Windows 98SE (same printer, same software) and never ran into this problem. I never had a problem printing borderless 4x6 photos, but now on this newer PC with XP I'm having the problem with this camera as well.)
Old Jan 4, 2005, 10:49 PM   #6
Administrator

narnia wrote:
Quote:
Thank you all for your responses.

I don't think the problem is image size, as my pictures are 2592 x 1944 (.jpg's).
2592 x 1944 has an aspect ratio (ratio of width to height) of 4:3. The correct Aspect Ratio for a 4x6" print is 3:2. So, you must crop (trim) part of the photo off before it will fit properly for aborderless 4x6" print.

In other words, you'd end up with an image size of 2592 x 1728 pixels for printing at this print size after cropping your originals.

Quote:
I installed Canon's Easy-PhotoPrint software to correct the aspect ratio and can't run the program.

[snip]

Nope -- It could be any number of things. Are you running SP2? Is this an older version of Canon's software? You may want to try installing the latest version (3.2). You can download it from Canon's site. Click onwhere it says"Click Here to Download the File" under "Software Applications and Updates", and it will take you to another page that has a link to the latest version:

i860 Series Download Library

You may also want to go to the thread I referred you toin my prevous post in this thread (where you'll see some other products mentioned that can crop).

Quote:
I also have a Canon PowerShot G5, which I was using on an older PC with Windows 98SE (same printer, same software) and never ran into this problem. I never had a problem printing borderless 4x6 photos, but now on this newer PC with XP I'm having the problem with this camera as well.)]I also have a Canon PowerShot G5, which I was using on an older PC with Windows 98SE (same printer, same software) and never ran into this problem. I never had a problem printing borderless 4x6 photos, but now on this newer PC with XP I'm having the problem with this camera as well.
Well, in that case, perhaps Zoom Browser has the ability to crop. I don't use it, so I don't know. In any event, you've got to crop (trim part of the photo off) to print a borderless 4x6" print -- unless you want a distorted photo. It's just a matter of how this croppingis accomplished. The software may have even be cropping for you (and you just didn't realize it, since you may not have compared the on screen images to the prints and didn't notice the trimmed off portions). I'd make sure you've got the right paper type selected (and bordless checked), too.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2005, 8:17 PM   #7

Quote:
I installed Canon's Easy-PhotoPrint software to correct the aspect ratio and can't run the program.

[snip]

Quote:
Nope -- It could be any number of things. Are you running SP2? Is this an older version of Canon's software?
JimC - I downloaded a more recent version of Easy-PhotoPrint and that did the trick! Thanks for your help. The pictures look great now. The i860 is really a nice printer.
Old Feb 12, 2005, 10:11 PM   #8

Hello,

I just purchased a PowerShot S500, using WinXP and for the life of me, I can't get this thing to recognize the cam. I know I don't have to even use the installation but I have tried installing it several times, uninstalling it, everything I can think of and it will NOT find my cam.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Eric Kirk
kirkeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2005, 10:36 PM   #9

Take a look at the Canon Support site -
http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/con...3&modelid=9825

It looks like you need to install the appropriate USB WIA driver on your computer. Hope this helps!
Old Feb 13, 2005, 3:52 PM   #10

Thanks. I had already found and loaded that. It doesn't work. Very frustrating because XP is actually supposed to just pick it up using its own drivers. I use another canon movie cam all the time yet thisone will just give the beep when u plug in but nothing there.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Eric
kirkeric is offline   Reply With Quote