Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jan 4, 2005, 9:39 AM   #1

Hi,

I am quite new to Digital photography but not new to photography. I am looking for a book much like, Basic Photography ~ Michael Langford, which is one of my favorite traditional photography books. But for digital.

Which are your favorites?
grant.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 4, 2005, 11:19 AM   #2

Grant,

From a photography perspective, there is very little difference between digital and film. Rules of composition, F-stops, ISO, etc all still apply. The only real difference in-camera is adjustments your camera may have for color, sharpness, etc. That and the fact most cameras can display a histogram so you can get a very good read on whether your picture was over or under exposed.

The real difference comes in post-processing - i.e. the 'digital darkroom' where you manipulate the pictures on your computer. For books on that topic, it is best to get a book designed for the software package you will be using for your photo editing. Do you know what package you will be using? Paint Shop Pro and Adobe Photoshop Elements are 2 great software packages to start out with. Photoshop Elements has the advantage of having more books available.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2005, 11:59 AM   #3

I will be using Photoshop CS, I agree on the points but I am still vague on what white balance is and how to read the histogram? Maybe you can point me to a site that explain these things and then suggest a book for photoshop?
Old Jan 4, 2005, 12:22 PM   #4

The Art of Adventure Photography by the late Galen Rowell.

It is not a dig book.

Its lessons still apply to dig.

Search for it on Amazon if you like.

You will not be disappointed.

If you are, you can mail me the book.

I will pay your purchase price minus your shipping for book and to this forum member.

digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2005, 2:03 PM   #5

A very comprehensive book, but everything you will ever need.......

http://www.photoshopforphotographers.com/
Freefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2005, 2:40 PM   #6

Also, here is a great write-up on histograms that may be very helpful...

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tu...stograms.shtml

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2005, 11:24 AM   #7

I think learning or being familiar with film first is good for Digital Photographers. I have been meeting pure digital photographers who are really Photoshop pros. They have the tendancy to never really learn their camera's or how to take better photos because they feel they can "fix" everything in photoshop. When I was shooting film I had to be careful to get all my settings correct because their was no fixing later. I still use that same concept now even with my digital camera. I try to keep my exposure within a very tight tolerance because over fixing can cause printing nightmares.

Think film shoot digital..
minutephotos.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2005, 12:16 PM   #8

I totally agree with with you, I have numerous qualifications in Photography and have been working Freelance for a number of years. But it is only recently, in my opinion, that digital has become a viable and affordable option.

I would strongly advise anyone interested in photography to go buy a Pentax K1000 and Basic Photography ~ Michael Langford first as you have to learn 'Traditional' photography to be able to use the camera. Take your camera off Program people!!!!

I to am a strong believer in the concept of getting the shoot right in lens not photoshop, that isn't to say I am not a fan of Photoshop. Plus its always a better picture, put rubbish in, and that is what you will get back.

Ideally I am looking for a book which can fill the gaps between 'Traditional' and 'Digital'? Such as 'White Balance', 'MegaPixels', 'Image Sensors' and list goes on.

P.s. How do I put a picture by my username!!!!!, No really I want to know!
Old Jan 5, 2005, 3:40 PM   #9

Click on "My Account" then click the Avatar button. you will then be able to browse for the photo you want next to you name.
Quote:
Ideally I am looking for a book which can fill the gaps between 'Traditional' and 'Digital'? Such as 'White Balance', 'MegaPixels', 'Image Sensors' and list goes on.

Not much to know here, if you can afford it get a camera with a full sized sensor (same size as 35mm). Then you want have a magnification factor of 1.6 like the Drebel. Get the highest migapixals you can afford, they go up to 16 or 22mp now. Common is 6.3 and 8. Some say this only matter if you print big, I disagree. The more resolution the more detail. i.e. seperations in strands of hair. White Balance, I never use this in the camera unless I have to I always shoot manual and I always shoot RAW. Unless I am shooying an event were I need to reduce file size and conserve space. Autmatic white balance works good on Drebel. With RAW mode and Canon file viewer or Photoshop CS I have full control over whitebalance post.

Best thing to do is just shoot as often as you can. You will learn your camera personality...

PS

Also get the best glass you can afford, this is probably more important than everything else discussed so far.
minutephotos.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2005, 3:55 PM   #10

Well I have a Canon 20D with Grip and 550EX Flash.

I don't understand what up mean by 'best glass you can afford' could you elaborate?