Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jan 10, 2005, 10:03 AM   #31
Administrator

Kenny_Leong wrote:
Quote:
I used the flash at the highest flash output level and then used JimC's advice for ISO 100 and slow shutter speed...

So with absolutely no lights turned on in my apartment in the dark and using these settings: manual mode (mode M), ISO 100, shutter time of 1/15 second, aperture F/4, and full power flash burst, hand-held (ie no tripod used).....I got this. The only thing I did to the picture was reduce the image size..no other edits. I can't believe the power in the G6 inbuilt flash...amazing.

Thanks for the great advice JimC! Your kind information is extremely helpful and very useful. I'll pass on this information to others in future. So thanks again.
The slow shutter speedyou used forthis photo would not have anything to do with the exposure from flash. A slower shutter speed only helps to get more ambient light in an exposure (because the flash burst is too short to be impacted by a slower shutter speed). A slower shutter speed is useful to help prevent backgrounds from looking as dark using flash, when you have ambient light present.

Onething to remember about shutter speeds that are slower (so that ambient light contributes more), is that you'll sometimes get a warmer cast from the ambient light exposure. Also, you have to be careful not to let shutter speeds get too slow -- otherwise, you'll get motion blur from ambient light, if it contributes too much.

My point with the slower shutter speed settings was that it's not necessary to use a fast shutter speed to freeze motion in low light -- as the flash burst itself will do that -- provided you don't have too much ambient light present.

Only Aperture impacts the amount of exposure you get from the flash itself. So, your flash and aperture settings, combined with the way you were metering the scene, is what caused the brighter exposure in a dark room with the lights out.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2005, 10:13 AM   #32

Thanks for the additional advice JimC! In the past, I was afraid to do low light shots using a hand-held method, but this extra knowledge removes a lot of that fear.
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2005, 1:08 PM   #33

Hi Mia,

I bought the G6 in October of 2004, and it really is a great camera for the money. I only ran into one real snag when taking pictures of my kids with the flash on. See the following thread for info on this:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...00&forum_id=15

Summary: If your kids (like mine), close their eyes after the pre-flash, so you always get them with their eyes closed, here's how to get around the problem. Switch camera from "Auto" to "P", frame your subject, click the "*" button on the LCD-side of the camera (extreme right, near the top). This forces the pre-flash to go off. You can then focus, and take your picture as normal. It will still flash (but only once) when you actually take the picture.

I've had nothing but fantastic pictures since learning of this tip.

Getting your child to smile and look at the camera at the same time is a whole different story. I could use some help in that department myself...

Good luck!

MattMan
MattMan1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2005, 7:55 PM   #34

MattMan1974 wrote:
Quote:
Hi Mia,
I bought the G6 in October of 2004, and it really is a great camera for the money. I only ran into one real snag when taking pictures of my kids with the flash on. See the following thread for info on this:
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...00&forum_id=15
*snip*
MattMan
I think that the preflash doesn't go off in manual 'M' mode too right?
Old Jan 10, 2005, 9:59 PM   #35

Kenny_Leong wrote:
Quote:
I think that the preflash doesn't go off in manual 'M' mode too right?
You're correct, Kenny. I suggested using the "P" mode so that the camera automatically selects the shutter speed, aperture, ISO, etc, similar to how it does in "Auto" mode. So a beginner should have no trouble using "P" mode to get a great picture (with the child's eyes open) without the need to understand those concepts. But by all means, experiment with the full manual mode (the "M" on the dial).

MattMan
MattMan1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2005, 10:15 PM   #36

thanks mattman .. it's nice to see that the G6 can take pics without that extra flash that can cause folks to blink their eyes before the pic is taken. I think that the preflash thing on that auto mode would even make me blink my own eyes.
Old Jan 12, 2005, 1:36 PM   #37

THANK YOU! I now have many methods to try. I think among all of you, I'm going to be a pro! LOL! Mia
Mia1 is offline   Reply With Quote