Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jan 4, 2005, 12:48 PM   #1

I just ordered this camera. My brother (a decent amateur photographer) said it was the best out there next to the Nikon 8800. Now I read some other user opinions on another site and there seems to be focus and low lighting problems. Is this just due to poor use or did I make a poor purchase? I'm worried now. I have 3 young children and want something VERY sharp and pretty quick. Thoughts?:sad:
Mia1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 5, 2005, 9:41 AM   #2

The G6 is one of the best mid-end prosumers out there. At the price range you bought at, there aren't many other better cameras... so I think you are ok... if you have problems with moving objects then other cameras will likely have the issue too..
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2005, 9:48 AM   #3

Thank you so much for the response. I'm glad there are people out there (like you) who know about cameras!
Old Jan 6, 2005, 12:34 AM   #4
ecm

The G6 is an excellent camera. It has the same problem all of these mid-range prosumer digitals do, though - it's not great in low light. I have an Oly C-5060 - it has the same issue. I think that if you look around, there are almost none of these cameras without at least one or two complaints about it.

The answer to the problem is to get an external flash, preferrably an "intelligent" (ie. "TTL") flash with bounce capability. It'll put you back another $150 minimum, but it will increase your satisfaction with your camera immensely. I recently got a Promaster flash (the 5750; about $200 unless you find it on sale) for my C-5060; the difference in my day-to-day "kid snaps" was so striking it's actually made me decide to keep the camera for a while longer.....

Good Luck!
ECM
ecm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2005, 12:46 AM   #5

That's great advice. Thank you! I will look into the flash. I guess I should try it without for a while and see how satisfied (or unsatisfied) I am. It sounds like I'll end up going that route. I appreciate the time you spent responding to me!

Mia
Old Jan 6, 2005, 1:18 AM   #6

ecm wrote:
Quote:
The G6 is an excellent camera. It has the same problem all of these mid-range prosumer digitals do, though - it's not great in low light. I have an Oly C-5060 - it has the same issue. *snip*

Good Luck!
ECM
I don't recall my g6 having trouble in low light. It's got a focus assist lamp and quite a powerful little flash. I took hand held shots indoors in low light...no problems at all. I took this other one on a tripod the other night.
Attached Images

Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2005, 2:31 AM   #7

Of all my cameras the G6 is the best in low light (for me anyway). Well placed dials and wheels for changing stuff, I find this camera the easiest to switch between sh.speed and f. stop (my old Oly 5050 was much more difficult) You will definately need an off camera flash, I got a promaster 5550 and it was about $150. Can go completely manual. Only problem I have is in bright light as I use the LCD to frame my photos, I don't much like the optical view finder because of the difference in framing area, again probably a personal thing.

On the whole I find I use my fz cameras a bunch more than the G6, again a personal thing I'm sure.

Suzan
ImKayd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2005, 8:57 AM   #8

Wow! I'm getting some great advice/opinions from these responses! I really enjoy reading and learning from all of you!! I know NOTHING! In fact, much of what many of you are saying, I have to look up! Sad, I know! If any of you think of anything else (about the Canon G6 or just general dig. cam. advice), I'm all ears (eyes in this case I guess!)! Mia
Old Jan 6, 2005, 10:02 AM   #9

Hi Mia:

The G6 isone of the better compact digitalcameras. Allcameras in this category have slower autofocus than the dSLRs, but if you prefocus (hold the shutter button half-way), when you push the button the rest of the way, the response is quite fast. This also locks the focus, so you can reframe the shot before you take it.

If you try taking pictures indoors without flash, you'll probably get blurry pictures from camera shake, the shutter speed is too slow for hand-held shots under these conditions. Use the flash. If you're planning to take a lot of people pictures...your children?... then I suggest you get an external flash. The built in flash is quite powerful, but it will produce "redeye" in portraits. It's the reflection of the fash in your subject's pupils. Most compact cameras, including the G6,have this problem because the flash is too close to the lens. It can be fixed in the computer, but an external flash will be better. The G6 does have a redeye reduction setting for the flash, but all that does is send out a pre-flash before the main flashso that the subject's pupils contract, and redeye is less obvious. I personally don't like it because a lot of people will have a "what the heck was that" look on their faces. Canon makes some nice flashes that will work with the G6.

The "auto" mode is the camera's point and shoot mode. It selects most of the camera settings for you. It's a good place to start until you get more familiar with the camera. One thing to note about the auto mode is that the autofocus will default to one or more spots within a fairly large area in the center of the view. The camera will select thenearest spot that has enough contrast for focus lock.That may not be the spot youwanted tofocus on. e.g. if someone is sitting at a table, the camera might fccus on a bowl in front of them intstead of on the person.

I think the auto mode works well outdoors. For indoor shots,a better mode is Program, (P on the dial) This will allow you change the focus mode toasmallarea in the center of the view and lock it there. The manual covers how todo this. Then you know what you've focussing on. Program mode will let you change a lot of the camera's settings, but you can do that as you get more comfortable with the camera.

It will seem very complex at first, you will need to read the manual, but it becomes much easier as you get used to it.

hope this helps...

Santos...
Santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2005, 10:06 AM   #10

Santos,

What a big help you are! Thank you so much for the details. I need all the help I can get!!! I never understood why red eye occurred before your response. I know what you mean about that "pre-flash". With kids, that REALLY doesn't work! LOL! I appreciate your time!!!!

Mia