Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jan 4, 2005, 9:48 PM   #1

I just bought a Canon A85 which comes with some basic software. Is it possible for me to make a photo CD which can be viewed on a DVD player?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Jason
jason4564645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 5, 2005, 8:09 AM   #2

Jason,

What operating system are you using? With Windows and using even Explorer, you can copy your photos to most CD/DVD drives if they have more than just play functions. That being said, there are several applications you can use to copy/move or otherwise write to CDs. Is your DVD just a player for DVDs or can you record/write?

Steve
BrierS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2005, 9:19 AM   #3

It varies with the DVD player. Some will display JPGs just recorded to CD. Others require you to make a VCD, which is basically a movie with the still images displayed in a slideshow.

Record some JPGs and try them on your DVD player. Record individual image files and not folders.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2005, 11:35 AM   #4

Yes, it is possible, I do this all the time. I use Roxio Easy Media Creator 7 their is a program called Video Wave that allows you to add all of your .JPG's add slide show transitions, music, etc. Then it renders your photos into frames and makes a video file MPG. Once you have converted into a Video File you can record to either a CD in VCD mode or directly to DVD. Real DVD's look much better they have more lines of resolution, you loose quite a bit of photo quality with the compression used to make a VCD.

Also, to really make you photo movie look nice you should crop you photos to I think to a ration of 5:4 which makes them look correct on TV.
minutephotos.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2005, 2:02 PM   #5

minutephotos.com wrote:
Quote:
I use Roxio Easy Media Creator 7 their is a program called Video Wave that allows you to add all of your .JPG's add slide show transitions, music, etc. Then it renders your photos into frames and makes a video file MPG.
Out of interest, how long does it take to render the MPG suitable for recording to a DVD? Every time I have tried this with different programs the rendering time is something stupid like 5-8 hours for a 30 minute mpg. That's on a 3Ghz P4
Paul(UK) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2005, 2:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Every time I have tried this with different programs the rendering time is something stupid like 5-8 hours for a 30 minute mpg. That's on a 3Ghz P4
Well that is definately tooo long. I use a couple of different programs and although this is a slow process it shouldn't take hours.

For me I go through several processes, editing and cropping photos. Taking out shots that are not bright enough or not the right dimmensions, I import them into one of the several programs I use depending on the type of transitions I want and render... The render process takes about 30 minutes and the Burn to DVD takes about 15 minutes depending on the number of photos. However, I also add in real video footage from my digicam. Altogether still less than 1 hour. On 3GHZ P4 with 512 ram and TDK 4X DVD burner.

minutephotos.com is offline   Reply With Quote