Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jan 7, 2005, 12:44 PM   #1

Help, my friend has a Kodak Easy Share CX4330 with a proprietory battery. Camera is 2 or 3 years old. Battery only lasts several pictures and then dies. My friend has replaced the battery several times. Same problem. Any ideas? She really doesn't want to scrap the camera just yet.
tomdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 7, 2005, 1:05 PM   #2

Are you saying that the camera is draining the battery? When you said that she's replaced the battery many times, do you mean she used several different proprietory batteries? Or do you mean she recharged the battery many times. So do you think it's a problem with the camera? Or is it a problem with the battery?
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2005, 1:06 PM   #3

If you think it's a battery problem, then an easy thing to do is to simply take the camera to a local digital camera shop. Ask the guys to pop in one of their batteries that they use for their demonstration cameras....and give it a try. If it works fine...then you will need to get the battery exchanged.
Old Jan 7, 2005, 4:39 PM   #4

She has done both. Recharged the initial battery and has replaced it as well. Nothing seems to hold a charge.
Old Jan 7, 2005, 5:14 PM   #5
Administrator

I'm assuming you mean the DX4330 (sometimes seen listed as the CX4330).

Verify the model number to make sure you aren't posting the wrong one.

The DX4330 ships with a CRV3 lithium battery that isnot rechargeable (it is also not proprietary, although Kodak maysell them under their brand name).

The DX4330will also use AA batteries (but the use of Alkaline batteries is not recommended).

Your best bet is touse high capacity NiMH AA Batteries if you want something rechargeable. Kodak sells an optional docking station for this model that ships with rechargeable NiMH AA Batteries. But, your best bet is to simply buy a decent Charger and Batteries. The MAHA Chargers and Powerex Batteries from Thomas Distributing are a good choice. See this page for more info on batteries and chargers:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/nimh_batteries.html

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2005, 5:35 PM   #6

I think the poster said that the camera comes with a proprietory battery right? So I'm assuming it's a battery block thing and doesn't use standard stuff like AA batteries. Ok...well, if you've tried various 'different' charged batteries of the same kind, then yah...it's most likely that the camera is faulty. Better get the camera exchanged/replaced I'd say.

Oh..ok..if it's 2 to 3 years old...then maybe it's out of warranty. The only thing to do is to either pay some money to get a quote on the repair job (you still have to pay some money for them to look at it, but you do have the option to just get them to send it back to you without repairing if the quote is too high) OR you can just tell your friend to buy a new camera. That really disappoints me to hear that the camera develops a fault like that, if she took care of the camera in a nice way before.
Old Jan 7, 2005, 5:35 PM   #7

THANK YOU FOR HELPING. BUT MY FRIEND SAYS HER BATTERY DRAINS AFTER TAKING ONLY SEVERAL PICTURES. SO EVEN IF IT'S NOT A PROPRIETORY BATTERY (WHICH I THINK SHE SAYS IT IS), IT'S CONKING OUT WAY TOO QUICKLY.

I HAD A VIDEO CAMERA THAT DID THIS. I SPENT SO MUCH ON REPLACEMENT BATTERIES, I FINALLY DITCHED THE UNIT AND BOUGHT A NEW ONE. MY FRIEND DOESN'T HAVE THIS LUXURY.

ANY IDEAS, ANYONE?

Old Jan 7, 2005, 5:43 PM   #8

Ok... I just checked on info about the cx4330..
it says" optional camera dock with Ni-MH rechargeable battery pack (in-camera charging); 2AA lithium or Ni-MH batteries or 1 CRV3 lithium battery, 3-volt adapter"

This means it does have proprietory battery, but I gather there is the option of using two AA size NiMH batteries. So if your friend has tried NiMH AA batteries as well, and things still don't work properly, then your camera must be draining those batteries real quick...there's an electrical fault obviously in the camera.

Maybe can go to get a quote on repair cost. But if not worth the cost for them to just take a look at it (before repair), then maybe can get a new camera.
Old Jan 7, 2005, 5:51 PM   #9
Administrator

tomdude wrote:
Quote:
THANK YOU FOR HELPING. BUT MY FRIEND SAYS HER BATTERY DRAINS AFTER TAKING ONLY SEVERAL PICTURES. SO EVEN IF IT'S NOT A PROPRIETORY BATTERY (WHICH I THINK SHE SAYS IT IS), IT'S CONKING OUT WAY TOO QUICKLY.

I HAD A VIDEO CAMERA THAT DID THIS. I SPENT SO MUCH ON REPLACEMENT BATTERIES, I FINALLY DITCHED THE UNIT AND BOUGHT A NEW ONE. MY FRIEND DOESN'T HAVE THIS LUXURY.

ANY IDEAS, ANYONE?

Yes - verify the model number of the camera. The DX4330 does not use proprietary batteries, and the one that ships with it is not rechargeable. Your friend is probably mistaking a CRV3as being proprietary (when it's not). Kodak does not list a CX4330 ontheir web site (either in the U.K. or the U.S.), but some vendor sites seem to have the DX4330 incorrectly listed as the CX4330.

If she's trying to replacethe batterywith a Lithium (not Alkaline) CRV3 Battery (like the one that shipped with the camera), and a brand new one doesn't work for more than a few shots, then I'd try cleaning the battery contacts in the camera. You can get a contact cleaning pen with a tip that fluid wicks to for this purpose. Radio Shack sells them.

If she's trying to use Alkaline Batteries, don't. They are not recommended for use in this model. They won't last more than a handful of shots in some cameras. That's why I referred you to our page on high capacity NiMH batteries.

Added:

Also, check to see if she's using the optional camera dock with her camera. This dock shipped with rechargeable batteries. Note that Kodak also makes a NiMH Rechargeable battery pack that will fit (same form factor as a CRV3). If she is using a rechargeable type already with the optional camera dock, then the problem could be with her camera dock (or with the contacts between the camera dock and the camera).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2005, 6:38 PM   #10

Sorry for the confusion about the camera model. My friend just checked her camera. It's a kodak CX4300.