Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Nov 9, 2002, 1:26 AM   #1

Default G2 is bigger better?? aka.. I need zoom

Im finally gonna switch from film to digital. Since the Cannon G3 is out the G2 is lookin like it can be had for just over $400.00. Im torn between the larger G2 and the.. S40. Having had a 35mm with a 200mm zoom im thinkin I might definately miss having zoom power and as far as I can tell the smaller "pocket size" digitals dont have options for add on zooms.
Anyone know how the teleconverters work for the G2 as far as quality? does it turn it into a 200mm equivalent to 35mm? If I can get more zoom I would be probably be willing to give up some camera bulk. Or are there any "pocket sized: 4mpxl cams that accept add on zoom capability
thanks!!!
dgerard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 9, 2002, 6:52 AM   #2

Try www.raynox.com. They list the camera model and then provide you with their lens that work with your camera. I would talk with folks at www.2filter.com as they are very helpful
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2002, 1:05 PM   #3

A couple thoughts. First, unless you really think you need some peculiar feature of the G2, you'll get a better all around camera at a better price with the Olympus C-4000. Slightly better image quality overall, full auto and manual controls, nice burst mode, super macro mode, etc. Compare reviews and samples here and, if you want, at some of the links given at ecoustics.com (most of the G2 reviews are from 2001):

http://www.ecoustics.com/Home/Home_V...ras/alpha.html

Second, a 2x converter will degrade image quality somewhat. You will get 200 mm equivalent focal length from your G2, but at a cost of increased aberrations. Normally you might not notice, but it will bother you in some cases.

If you really want more zoom, you're better off getting a camera that already has it. You can get the fine Fuji S602 for about $500, which goes up to 210 mm, or, if you're really zoom hungry, the Olympus C-730, which goes up to 380 mm, for about $450. There are quality of image trade-offs with the longer zoom in the Olympus, in that the images are somewhat noisier than most from 3x zoom cameras, and on rare occasions there's increased CA, but the quality overall is high and far better than you'd get with converters even at 200 mm. Both cameras are 3 MP, but the extra zoom more than makes up for the difference, if you need it. The resolution on the Fuji is actually almost equal to that of the G2.

Incidentally, in going from a 3 to a 4 MP camera, you only increase the size of prints you can get at the same resolution by about 11%.
Sanpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2002, 11:10 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies so far. Appreciate the assistance. Im thinkin more and more about going with a "pocket size" digital with 3x zoom for 90% of the shots I take and keeping my Minolta SLR with the 200mm zoom for the occasional wildlife photos.
The other issue I have is I really dont want to get a plastic bodied camera,thats why I was stayin away from the Olympus zoom cams the metal seems so much more durable and feels better.
I love the 3mpxl cannon elph but zoom is only 2x. I love the new Olympus 4mpxl c-50 but it looks pretty pricey. Im kind of leaning towards the Cannon s-40 at this point. Any other Ideas?
Here is what Im lookin for
1) "Pocket size"durable body
2) at least 3mgpxl (good enough for high quality 8 x 10?)
3) 3 x zoom
4) under $500.00
all opinions appreciated
dgerard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2002, 7:14 AM   #5

If you are looking for a pocket size digicam look at the Olympus C50. It is 5mp, 3X Optical zoom. Read Steve's Reviews. It will fit in the palm of your hand.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote