Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Nov 9, 2002, 4:14 AM   #1

Default Appreciate advice deciding between these

I need to get a digital camera for use with print/web design, i am not experienced in photography and up until now i have just used a friends oldish minolta SLR camera, it gave me decent results, (always autofocused well and gave nice colors.)

I need something that will last a while (lots of use), turn out some high resolution, crisp, clear images, autofocus well, work well with close-ups and bascially just give me the most professional images possible keeping in mind that i'm certainly not one.

So i have looked around & read some reviews/posts etc on different cameras and am currently thinking about one of these:

- Sony Cybershot DSC-S85
- Minolta DiMAGE S404
- Fuji FinePix S602
- (possibly Fuji FinePix 3800)

NOTE: price does not come in here becuase i live in new zealand, $ is very different (generally alot more
So just ignoring the price factor for a second, could anyone possibly give some advice on which you would go for?

Thanks.
Giov
giov is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 9, 2002, 5:57 AM   #2
NHL

If price is no object, I believe the Fuji FinePix S602 is the better one from your list not only in features, but also in its more popular battery source (AA-NiMh) and different film types (even a microdrive!). It also handle closest to a SLR.
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2002, 6:49 AM   #3

I agree with NHL on the S602.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2002, 10:44 AM   #4

I also agree, the s602z will allow you to 'point and shoot' with auto features and zoom giving consistent results, but the cam allows you to grow with the advanced features as you get more confidence and experience.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2002, 7:16 PM   #5

I agree too with NHL or move to a country with cheaper cameras, hehehe.
rikster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2002, 5:24 AM   #6

thanks for the replies, I think it's narrowed down to these two

Canon g2(g3?) & S602z

I am seriously thinking of the S602z now but wonder if it would be worth waiting for the g3 to come down to the same price? the g3 seems to match the s602 in most things? and beat it in image quality but would not be as good with macro shots and of course movieclips although the latter is not such a big deal to me as i don't see myself buying a microdrive which i understand is needed if you want to use the very good movie mode on this camera.
I must admit a big selling point for me is the g2+3's 4MP but this is probably just due to me being a digital camera newbie with lack of experience looking at features etc..

Could anyone share their opinions reagrding the Autofocus on these cameras?
giov is offline   Reply With Quote