Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jan 11, 2005, 10:45 AM   #1

Hello,

Can I collect data from an image/photo (shutter speed, exposure, meter settings, date, histogram, etc.), and download the data into a spreadsheet, database or photo log?

I have considered purchasing a Canon G6, and would like to keep a log of information for historical/practical reference.

Thank You,
Astrojester
astrojester is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 11, 2005, 10:48 AM   #2

First off, you are correct that most of that information is stored in the jpg or RAW file. Its called EXIF data. (Not the histogram, but the camera settings are. White balance, aperture, shutter speed, which lens, what focal length,....)

There are several stand alone programs that can extra that information and write it out to a file. Without too much work I bet you could load that file into another program for reference.

A bit of google searching or some searching here will find you some EXIF editors.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2005, 10:57 AM   #3

Hello Eric S,

EXIF data is something I am not familiar with. Thank you for your help and info. I will be spending some time learning about this EXIF process.

Astrojester
Old Jan 11, 2005, 11:17 AM   #4

Yah... there's free EXIF readers on the internet. So I just label my photos with name_Canon-image-label...

eg if a pic of a snail is originally IMG_0230.JPG, then I'll just name it snail_img_0230.jpg, or snail_date_img_0230.jpg.

I will store the original in the originals folder. The label on edited/cropped pics will always be linked to the original through the img_xxxx name.
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2005, 11:28 AM   #5

Hello Kenny,

I'm learning that the jpeg header contains the information I am interested in collecting from each image. Now, I will look around the internet for data extraction software that will let me extract the EXIF information. Thank you.

Astrojester
Old Jan 11, 2005, 11:34 AM   #6

I don't think the database will be very helpful without the image to compare it to. EXIF Image Viewer is freeware and will make such a list. You can highlight a listing and look at the picture to relate the data to the conditions. I don't see any way to export that data to a spreadsheet, but I also don't see any reason to do that. It will display any folder with thumbnails and EXIF data. A nice feature of EXIF viewer is that it can be set to view sub-folders, so you could have your database of all the pictures on the computer. It generates them pretty quickly for images that haven't been saved without the internal thumbnail. In thumbnail view you can generate the EXIF data simply by holding the cursor over the thumbnail.

Exif viewer will also generate a histogram for any shot, but it isn't the same as the camera histogram. Most cameras don't have the same histogram for live histogram shooting and playback anyway. Even if the EXIF recorded the playback histogram it is usually different from the live histogram you shoot with. The Exif Viewer histogram is quite good and better than most cameras generate.

http://home.pacbell.net/michal_k/ He doesn't show a view of the "details", but it looks like a spreadsheet view of the entire EXIF without the blocks and a tiny thumbnail.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2005, 11:49 AM   #7

Hello Slipe,

As I am gathering information about this process, I am beginning to understand the way information is stored and read. I have to agree with you about storing the information in a spreadsheet. I now have learned that the jpeg header info can be viewed without dumping the data to a spreadsheet.

Thank you for the link and your help... looking forward to trying the EXIF viewer.

astrojester