Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Nov 11, 2002, 6:31 AM   #1

Default More pixels, same resolution results in same quality?

Hi,

I own a Nikon CP2500 and take all my pictures at 1600 x 1200. The CP2500 has an 2 MP CCD. Nikon introduced a new camera with the same design but with a 3 MP CCD, the CP3500.

If i take a picture with both cameras at 1600 x 1200, would the CP3500 produce a better picture because it has an 3 MP CCD?

Simmayor
Simmayor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 11, 2002, 7:56 AM   #2

At the same res. other factors might come in. If you think the cams are identical in every respect (which I'd doubt). The 3Mpix chip design and processing might be more advanced, giving lower noise and better sensitivity. Checkout the ASA sensitivites.

Plenty of info here:

http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...973&highlight=
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2002, 11:34 AM   #3

Vowmagna is right. But I think that one might think that the lenses on those two mentioned Nikons are pretty much alike. And that's why you will get more detailed photos with this 3mp cam than the 2mp cam.
However I wouldn't waste the money. If you really want better quality (and the same Nikonstyle ptotos) you should take it at step further to 4 og 5 mp.
But you should remember that a 2mp digicam very well could make higher quality photos than a 3 mp.
Lots of things are important , lens, software, bla. bla bla.
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2002, 9:02 PM   #4

Default RE: More pixels, same resolution results in same quality?

I agree with Klaus, why upgrade to the next model from the same vendor for a 1 mega-pixel gain? I would do it if only I were trying to get the largest print possible, e.g. going from 5 mp to 6 mp. But based on your question, I wouldn't do it. Another thing you will find that if you move from a 2 mp to a 4 mp camera, is that the 4 mp camera will be a lot faster at 2 mp than a camera whose upper limit is 2mp.

Bill
wsandman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2002, 3:51 PM   #5

This is all absolutely true - but why do manufacturers of newer cam models keep shipping these cams with 16Mb's of flash, often poor value software nobody uses, without cases or ones which don't protect costing extra, batteries that aren't re-chargeable - and still expect us to pay high prices! Plus more on top for a useable product.

Or is Fuji the only one that does this?
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2002, 5:24 PM   #6

I would also take the leap to at least a 4 mp and preferrable 5mp. Budget constraints may not allow you to leap this far. Wait until after the first of the year when prices tend to go down.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2002, 5:45 PM   #7

Thanks for all the replies!

Okay, i understand the quality issue here, but the design is really good. The lens is well protected and the camera is so small that i can take it anywhere in my pocket. The 1 megapixel gain only makes the camera better for point-and-shoot operations.

So i should take all pictures at the maximum resolution and crop them later so i get sharper more detailed pictures.

Thanks for the help!

Simmayor
Simmayor is offline   Reply With Quote