Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jan 13, 2005, 1:48 PM   #1

Hi.
I've made some serious long reasearches on the internet and finally came to the conclusion this camera would fit my needs best (read lots of reviews and stuff)
I can't afford to spend more than $450 (inlcuding add-ons like larger memory card, two sets of NiMH AA rechargables, a charger, and a case).
This is to be my very first digital camera and the reason I've chosen this one is that all I want from it is:
-good quality pics;
-nice movie clips;
-ultra-zoom;
-pocketable (or at least easy to carry).
-ergonomics;

I'd really appreciate any good advice regarding any major disadvantages of this item. I mean I wouldn't like to feel sorry about my money after all.

I've also noticed that S1 IS connects to a PC using USB 1.1. Well my PC got USB 2.0 so I don't know what do I need to make the connection possible. Please help me !

And please do recommend me the best rechearchable batteries for this kind of camera and also the proper memory card.

Rooy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 13, 2005, 3:23 PM   #2

Rooy wrote:
Quote:
Hi.
I've made some serious long reasearches on the internet and finally came to the conclusion this camera would fit my needs best (read lots of reviews and stuff)
I can't afford to spend more than $450 (inlcuding add-ons like larger memory card, two sets of NiMH AA rechargables, a charger, and a case).
This is to be my very first digital camera and the reason I've chosen this one is that all I want from it is:
-good quality pics;
-nice movie clips;
-ultra-zoom;
-pocketable (or at least easy to carry).
-ergonomics;

I'd really appreciate any good advice regarding any major disadvantages of this item. I mean I wouldn't like to feel sorry about my money after all.
Well, the S1 IS is a nice camera. I have one and like it so far. I think you know its advantages so let me list its disadvantages, particularly compared to the Panasonic FZ3:

* it has no AF-assist lamp
* small LCD (but at this price range, all ultra-zooms with IS are like that)
* slightly weaker zoom (10x vs 12x on Panasonic)
* slightly worse lens that goes to F3.1 at telephoto, whereas Panasonic FZ3 stays at F2.8 at telephoto (max zoom)

To sum up, if you do not care about video, the Panasonic FZ3 is better. Panasonic FZ3 has slightly stronger zoom, faster lens, and slightly better pic quality (Canon pics are soft and require sharpening--you can do this in-camera if you want though). But if you care about video, I think the S1 IS is better.

Quote:
I've also noticed that S1 IS connects to a PC using USB 1.1. Well my PC got USB 2.0 so I don't know what do I need to make the connection possible. Please help me !

And please do recommend me the best rechearchable batteries for this kind of camera and also the proper memory card.
USB 2.0 is backwards compatible so your computer (or any other device with USB 2.0) is fine. The only thing you will notice is that the speed will be lower; other than that, no changes are required on your end...

I bought the Maha-250W(?) charger that Steve has in his review. I don't really think it matters what you buy as long as you get an NiMH recharger. I recommend buying 8 batteries ($10 for 4) along with the charger (so that you can replace the batteries in the field if you run out), but you can cut back if you are short on cash.

You also need to spend around $10 to $30 buying a camera bag. I went with a somewhat larger one that holds extra batteries and stuff. Again, you can get a cheaper one if you are short on cash.

As for memory card, I went with a 1GB Lexar 40x card for US$40 (after mail-in-rebate). This was a very good deal so if you want something like that, you should hunt around and wait until you get the right deal. Usually, you'll find mail-in-rebates being offered by the various companies once every few months. I would go with a high speed card (40x+) IF you plan to use video. If you don't use video then the lower (regular) speed cards are fine. I would also stick with brand name companies like Sandisk, Lexar, etc but this isn't a big deal (go for a cheaper one if money is tight)...

Hope that helps :|

RAM
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2005, 7:02 PM   #3

Thanks mate, you really boosted my confidence.

I will definetely go and buyit ! I can't wait to start... :ak47:with it!
Rooy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2005, 5:08 AM   #4

Nice choice, you won't regret it. It takes great pictures(as well as video)and that's the bottomline:-)If you need more zoom you can probably save up and get the lens adapter and teleconverter like I did but the 10x is more than enough for most applications.
Oculus Sinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2005, 10:46 PM   #5

I tried the SI in the camera store and I could not get it to focus with store lighting.I like natural tungsten lighting not cold flash. I have been totally amazed with my FZ3. The FZ3 produces perfect night shots without flash. The flash is only needed at nite if the subject is moving. You can for example get a totally readable closeup of a book page in dim lighting!!!!!! Spy camera?
gordon1 is offline   Reply With Quote