Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Nov 11, 2002, 12:22 PM   #1

Default Downloading from Internet Cafes on the road?

I'm looking into getting a digital camera for a 15 month trip to S. America. I'm looking for something rugged, 3 mp, and one that I can EASILY transfer images from the camera to your average PC at internet cafes on the road. Obviously, I won't be able to install software on every computer I encounter. Taking a laptop is not an option.

The other option is to take enough "storage" capacity with me on the road to just hold onto the cards or CDs or mail them back every so often.

I've heard good things about the Coolpix 880, but can't figure out how best to get the pics from the camera to a PC.

Thanks!
NewMexEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 11, 2002, 1:23 PM   #2

Do you mean "up loadling" your pics (to an internet site) from an internet café ?
I guess this may be a tedious job if the connexion is by modem.
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2002, 5:35 PM   #3

Yes, UPloading...sorry. Yes, it will be tedious, but so it goes. I'll probably wait to find DSL connections for the FULL dumps.

Thanks!
NewMexEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2002, 7:38 AM   #4

Default Conecting the camer

OK

Im new to this.

I have a Minolta Dimage 7i and i don't know what it is like for other camera but i assume its the same.

I have installed my camera on three different computers

95, 98, and ME

I can't remeber about the 95 but i do know that i never needed any software to install in the 98 or me operating systems.

So all you need to take with you is the USB cable and you should be OK.

It will just been seen as another harddrive.

So i would rekon this would be an option.

The other thing to do is. Most internet cafe's have a CD burner so you can simple download the images from you camera onto CD and then send the CD's home.

Uploading pictures to the net, even with DSL will be very tediouse.
And DSL does not have the same upload speed as download speed wich will make things worse. You also have the problem of finding all that storage on the web fore free, assuming you can not send it to your computer at home.

Tony.

p.s. have you looking in to hand held disk storeage that run on battery. They are quite expensive but have storeage from about 5GB up to 30GB
tonyjobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2002, 9:45 AM   #5

Faced with slow connections (28.8KB/s and lower), You'd probably need to downsample. I assume you're only wanting to get pics back and not just remotely archiving originals? Find out if you can upload to an ftp server for storage- its much faster than emailing files.

If they let you load and run some software, I'd take a USB card reader and a spare card with some basic (or shareware?) viewer utils on (but they might be nervous about virus infection?). If the cam will transfer non-cam files, don't bother with the reader. Early versions of ACDsee were quite small, before they enhanced the editing.

If you've got a floppy FlashPath adaptor, that can also transfer card files, but is much slower. Last resort though if pc's don't have usb. Take the install floppies with you!

I guess we're wanting cams with built in diallup modems and ftp then?
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2002, 11:14 AM   #6

I would think that Inernet Cafe's with XP computers should be capable of uploading your files to the internet. I would recommend a camera which will be displayed as a removeable drive. Newer Olympus, Nikon, Minolta, and Canon have this feature. Look at www.pbase.com as a site you could upload your pics.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2002, 5:05 PM   #7

Coolpix 880??? Long discontinued, and animals will all look like ants with its 2.5x optical zoom.

Look for a sturdy "digital wallet" such as what a couple others have mentioned, and just keep all your shots on it. Otherwise you'll spend all your time at internet cafes instead of in the jungle.

Steve just reviewed a new device in which you can install the hard drive of your choice (VP-2030).

http://www.steves-digicams.com/digi_...s.html#storage
Sanpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2002, 5:31 PM   #8

The new device that Sanpete is referring to can be purchased at www.computergeeks.com for $87. You can purchase the hard drive for the unit for under $40.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2002, 6:54 PM   #9

In fact I would guess that most of cafes are pretty savvy. For third world they cost big bucks to open. I would certainly expect that wherever you go there are folks who want to send their pictures to relatives up north, and the cafes will compete for this business. I would bring a memory-card reader with me as the cards vary
Another option that you should get at most internet cafes is to burn them as a CD and save or mail home.
My travelling days are long gone but the first trip I went on I had a so-so film camera and was unhappy when I got home. After that I got a high-end Nikon F2 and never regretted it. Do yourself a favor and get a good camera with 5mp and a good zoom. You only live once!
Paul
PS- assumimg you speak spanish, why don't you look for a s.american photo web site and see if you can find out what they got there.
plschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2002, 11:56 AM   #10

So many trips, so many hassles, so many internet cafes not being able to upload my shots from my olympus due to loading software problems. But the solution did come: USB reader.; fully compatible with any win 2000 and later pc anywhere. I could finaly succesfully bypass the sompatibility problem, and crash onto the main stone wall known as: "3hours of upload per 128mb card"!!! You get the story! I have finally found a solution to my woes, just like a couple of the guys mentioned: portable storage. It is the ONLY way you will leave home absolutely certain you will not have any storage problems.
geof is offline   Reply With Quote