Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Nov 14, 2002, 4:54 AM   #1

Default Canon A40 or the Olympus-520 and why?!

Hi all,

I am hoping to go and purchase one of the above two camera's in the next few days but need some help first. I can only afford this 2.0 MP camera so options of 3.0+MP is just not an option.
So you folks are the people to ask, which is better overall and why.
I have read reviews for both and am leaning towards the Canon A40 but its always good to have opinions from the experts!

Thank you,

Kasper
Kasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 14, 2002, 6:19 AM   #2

I am sure the Canon A40 is a good camera. I have always used the Olympus brand. I liked the Olympus 520 because the optics produced excellent pics. 2mp cameras provide great pics.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2002, 9:55 PM   #3

Thank you for posting gibsonpd3620.

I was just wondering though, which camera in fact is of and will produce a better quality picture?
I ask as i dont fully understand all the respective camera's spec's.

Anyone here know which would be better or more worth buying considering they are equal in price for me and why?

Thank you
Old Nov 14, 2002, 10:12 PM   #4

"No camera is better than its lens and the D-520 Zoom uses a fast F2.8 all-glass 3x optical zoom with a focal length of 38-114mm (35mm equivalent)." This is a quote from Steve's review of the Olympus D520. This is why I stated that the optics of the Olympus camera will great pics.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2002, 4:43 PM   #5

The Canon A40 has interesting capabilities (besides good picture quality). Not sure if the other cameras at this price-point have these features:
focus -assist lamp
TV output
15 second shutter speed
ISO 50 - 400
AiAF 3 point autofocus
panorama capability
video with sound
MentorRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2002, 6:54 PM   #6

I just bought a Canon A40 for my daughter and son-in-law as an early Christmas present (hoping for more pictures of the grandkids). I was impressed with the number of features and quality of the output. It's not a tiny camera, but big enough to be handled easily. It uses Compact Flash cards, a very compatible, inexpensive and available memory format.

I have owned a couple of Canon digicams, so might be somewhat prejudiced, but have had great service from them. My original Canon A50 Zoom is now taking great pix of another grandkid after five years of service and my Powershot Pro90 is taking great pictures for me after about 13 months of heavy use. I regularly print 8 X 10's with "only" 2.6 megapixels.

I'm not going to talk down any camera I've never used, but will say I was favorably impressed with the Canon A40.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2002, 2:52 AM   #7

Well folks i purchased a Canon A40 and a 32MB flash card to go with it, i also purchased a tripod too as i am hoping to take some really nice shots in the future and i am a big man so its nicer to have something hold the camera and allow me to mess everything up,

Thanxs for all your help and opinions too!

Cheers!
Old Dec 1, 2002, 8:04 AM   #8

Hi, I too have been checking out the Canon A40 and the Olympus D-550. I then looked at the D-520 and found the following information which now has me shying away.

http://electronics.cnet.com/electron...html?tag=prmo1

Did you look at the pictures samples from both the A40 and the D-520 here at Steve's Digicams. I went back and looked at the D-520 and they do not appear as crisp as others. I am still evaluating and haven't yet made up my mind.
CAP121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2002, 2:32 PM   #9

CAP121,

Yes i did go with the quality of the pics from here. I also went with the fact that Canon also has the good ability to take night shots to which i have seen and they too were of great quality. It can have the shutter open for 15 seconds which helps accomodate this.
I also liked the fact that the software helps with RAW images and also has the abilty to stitch on a panorama shot too. The camera has the built in feature to assist with this too.
I also like the AIAF feature and the AE beam thing too.
I just found ont he net and with talking with many people that the best camera in the 2.0/2.1 MP catagory was in fact the Canon A40 Powershot, hands down!

Although i am sure that whichever camera you do choose you will be happy!

Cheers!