Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jan 24, 2005, 9:12 PM   #1

I want to know which is a better wide angle lense, one that has .8X magnification or .7X. I have an Olympus C-2100 UZ and I want to purchase a wide angle lense but I'm unsure of which lense is better. If someone could assist me it would be much appreciated.

Thanks
winks33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 24, 2005, 11:18 PM   #2

The .7 and .8 magnification factorsare only that -magnification factors.They say nothing of the quality of the lenses. The .7 will give you a slightly wider angle of view, but not much.
Puck M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2005, 1:38 AM   #3

I assume you're talking about Olympus' WCON-07 and WCON-08 lenses. Both are good. I'd be tempted to go with the WCON-07 which translates to 26.6mm versus 30.4mm for the WCON-08. Of course, both lenses are going to magnify the barrel distortion of the camera's lens, and the WCON-07 will magnify it more than the WCON-08; however, barrel distortion is not bad at all on the UZI. The best thing is to do a search on the camera and find sites where actual users tell what they've tried and what works best. I know the info is out there; I just can't remember which lens is favored by UZI owners.
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2005, 3:43 AM   #4

Wink, I see you've asked this question several places so let me add to what I said. If you're looking at cheap lenses, it really doesn't matter whether you choose .7 or .8. They will both be junk.
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote