Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jan 28, 2005, 5:49 AM   #11

The largest prints I ever made in the darkroom was 16X12 and I do not envisage going any larger digitally. Now if my maths is correct I should achieve that at 219ppi with an uncropped photo without interpolation. The kind of pictures I take in any event were more considered than quick candid and cropping was mostly minimal.

Since my RB67 was very cumbersome in the field I had thought of a Pentax II or a Mamiya 7 II. I would then have to upgrade my flatbed scanner for a dedicated film one to really do justice to MF, so as you can see this option was getting really expensive. Added to that of course is the hassle of processing the film and dust etc. Granted well processed and well scanned transparencies would give better results but that would mean buying those services in.

I realise that the 20D is an interim step, possibly where the iDs would be preferrable and the Mamiya ZD better still, but cost is a big factor. What I need to do now is to just start taking pictures again as I have ground to a halt for some time.And agood lens is a must which I assume will be one of the 'L' series and which will not tie me to the 20D.

I have seen enough review images now to convince me that sharpness is not an issue as long as it is applied with discretion.

Thanks again for your help.
*David* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2005, 9:03 AM   #12

Yes, if you print up to that size, the 20D should cover you nicely. Most people I talk to who do 6x7 print much larger and then the 20D will fall down quickly.

16x12 should be a reasonable thing to do, as I have several 11x14 with the 10D.

Yes, get good lenses. They will last a life time.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2005, 10:31 AM   #13

David, I have printed 14x16 from my 20d with very little photoshop adjustment other than minimal sharpening that have looked very good. [Printing with a Canon i9900. I printed these on purpose with almost no crop just to see how they would look.

I've a frend who worked for a very large print company here [did separations and color work for them] and he was amazed of what could come out of that camera.

My thoughts were if it was good enough for him, I could live with it. LOL

Hope this is helpful.
Golfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2005, 12:28 PM   #14

Golfer - what file type did you export and did you do any 'in camera' sharpening before sharpening in PS ?

eric s & golfer - there are proprietary sharpening and interpolation packages - do they offer significant quality advantages over PS ?
*David* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2005, 10:59 PM   #15

Some people like them, I haven't tried them. Look into NikSharpener Pro and Focal Blade. Those are the two that I hear the most about.

Also, many people like these actions:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/software/

I have a friend who swares by focal blade. Say's he understands the algorithm underneath the hood and as he put it "that is how I would write it." And he could, he is a programmer as well as photographer.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2005, 1:50 PM   #16

David - these were Canon 20d j peg's, not scanned. They were of course the best of many photos [both in subject and clarity]. Sharpening was done only with CS. I do not have a professional eye which is why my friend looked at them and his statements convinced me I had not made a mistake.

Obviously there is no way I can convey what I see to you, as one man's trash is anothers treasure. Do you have any digital friends you could review with?
Golfer is offline   Reply With Quote