Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Nov 16, 2002, 4:53 AM   #1

Default Newbie needs guidance

First of all, thanks to all of you experienced camera users who take the time to help us newbies muddle through. I've already learned a lot from reading the posts in this forum.

Now to my dilemma...Like so many others, I've done too much research and I'm just ready to make a decision. Here are my parameters:

1. My husband's military; family lives far away; want to email pics home.

2. I'm a mom of a 2-year old. Want to be able to get quality prints of select pictures to frame and for scrapbooking.

3. Want to keep the cost in the <$400 range. And that's including upgrading memory and rechargeable battery if needed.

4. Don't want to outgrow camera too quickly. (Comes into play when debating between 2mp & 3mp.)

Am looking at Canon Powershot A40 (main concern, is 2 mp.), Olympus D-550, and Sony Cybershot P-7 or P-71. However I'm keeping all options open and would consider other choices.

I know a lot of this boils down to personal preference. And as some of you have said it's a bunch of gray, not black and white (although you should avoid the gray market : ....see, I've been studying you guys! ). That said, I'd still like to know if anybody has any more insight to offer. It's not like buying a new house, but it is an investment of sorts with not a lot of room for do-overs!

Thanks in advance!
whimzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 16, 2002, 5:43 AM   #2

I suggest the Canon A40. Cheap, good pictures, and you can grow into it.

David.
david is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2002, 1:33 PM   #3

Default My concern....

I had convinced myself that if I could find a 3mp cam that I could afford, it would always trump a 2mp cam. Is that necessarily true in every instance? After reading the forum, I'd been leaning toward the Canon, but my husband thinks we'd be selling short to only get a 2mp.

I keep hearing that the number of mp determines how large your image size can be and still look clear. That said, if you have a 4x6 (or 8 x 10) image from a 2mp cam and a 3mp cam, can you tell which came from which camera? I've seen on the forum that more mp allows you more cropping leeway (sp?). Is that true for the smaller images, as well?

Any cons for the cameras I've listed or can someone think of a camera that would be better to consider? (Just consider this a tack-on to my original question, please.)
Old Nov 16, 2002, 2:23 PM   #4

Get a 3mp Cam, otherwise you might regret it.

I bought a 2mp cam about 3 months ago and I'm about to get a 4mp Cam, as I wasn't completely satisfied, 2mp was very good, but I wanted the option of better quality prints at bigger sizes, even if I only print no bigger than 10x8
JTravern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2002, 8:10 PM   #5

I have the A40 and I've printed some 8X10 pictures. My wife and I are very satisfied with the quality. So, I think the A40 would be a good choice.
KeithB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2002, 6:37 AM   #6

For what you want to do, and with Mpix rising (with high prices). You should find 2Mpix cams and A40 good value for money (although probably not this side of Xmas!).

So whilst there are going to be better more featured cams coming along, bargains in 2Mpix will be around. Don't forget, many of the probs with earlier models were battery life and expensive cards. So if you get a cam which can take the bigger AA batts, and memory is cheaper now, its amazing how much less hassle digi-photography becomes!
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2002, 10:29 PM   #7

The Olympus C4000 can be purchased for about $400 on the web. You can locate prices at www.dealtime.com. The C4000 is 4 mp and has ample manual controls that can grow with your experience in the digital world.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2002, 1:21 AM   #8

By all means do a search for the Canon S30. 3.2 megpixes and at www.pricegrabber.com you can get it for around 360 shipped. It is a very very good camera and it's the one I use and takes very good pictures.
NickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2002, 5:54 PM   #9

WHIMZIE:

You didn't indicate what you are going to use the camera for...
From what I've been reading on the various forums, low light photgraphy is a problem for a large number of cameras. Unfortunately, that seems to be an area where moms and grandmas seem to operate frequently: Pictures in dimly lit rooms of children and groups. This is where a camera with a focus-assist lamp, good flash coverage, and variable ISO settings comes in handy (and sometimes indispensible). The Canon A40 covers all these bases, and has a nifty TV-out cable, so you can immediately view your just-taken shots on a nearby TV (in the home or at the motel). If you are concerned about print quality, just download some A40 JPEG samples from the major review sites and print them off.
MentorRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2002, 3:34 AM   #10

Default Question to MentorRon

Would you choose the A40 versus a 3mp Kodak or 3mp Sony or even the 3mp Olympus D-550? If so, why (besides price)?

I'm trying out the Kodak DX3900 and the Sony DSC P-71. I think I can see a slight edge in image quality with the Sony, but am not sure if it's $100 difference. It does do a better job in low light situation than the Kodak. I'm sure that's the AF illuminator that the Sony has although I don't have a clue what it is or how it makes it better...anyway, the Kodak is a little more user friendly and the picture software that came with it is tons eaiser to handle than the disc that came with the Sony, but if that's my main deal, I could always find a photo software program that I like.

I don't even know if I should add another camera to the mix for further comparison or decide between these two and be done with it.

This is supposed to be my Christmas gift but it feels more like a school research project! I'm ready to hand this thing in, get my grade, and get out for Christmas break!