Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Nov 17, 2002, 5:19 AM   #1

Default Olympus D-550, Sony DSC P-71, Kodak DX 3900, HP 720

I've narrowed it down from about 372 to these four.

I want the one that will give me the best quality prints. It'll be the family camera, used for candids, vacations, etc.

Is anyone familiar with 2 or more of these and has seen prints made from them that could give me a good comparison. I've compared all the reviews and the test shots and done the compareometer deal on another site for the ones that had test shots but it's still hard to tell from those.

If I don't ever appear back in this forum it's because researching my digital camera choice finally sent me right on over the edge and they've put me away.
whimzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 17, 2002, 7:11 AM   #2

Yous should be able to find reviews of these models with sample pics on this very site.
JTravern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2002, 10:27 PM   #3

I would rate the Olympus D550 as my pick. The optics in the lens are highly rated in Steve's review of the camera.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2002, 11:25 PM   #4

Default Trying the Kodak, not convinced

I picked up the Kodak DX3900 at Office Depot today (on clearance for $230). I've been playing around with it. It's user friendly, for sure, and the pics I've emailed turned out nice, but I'm not overly impressed with the sample shots I've printed thus far. The enlarged pictures are really grainy. This is my first time to play with a digital camera so there might be some improvements I could make to improve the pic quality.

QUESTION: Could the fact that I'm not using the best paper to print on be the grainy problem or is that a function of the camera only?

I have 14 days to return the camera. I'm thinking about buying another camera, comparing it with the Kodak and returning the one I don't like. We live in Hawaii (tough life) so we don't have as many shipping options and shipping costs a little more & takes longer, so I'd like to buy it in a real store so I can have it before Christmas. The military stores here have decent prices and no tax so that helps. Gibsonpd3620, I think I may give the Olympus a go.

Thanks, I'm sure I'll be back.
Old Nov 18, 2002, 12:48 AM   #5

Default Re: Trying the Kodak, not convinced

Quote:
Originally Posted by whimzie
QUESTION: Could the fact that I'm not using the best paper to print on be the grainy problem or is that a function of the camera only?
The grainly look doesn't come from the paper ( unless you use the plain ordinary paper in draft mode of course) The grainy (problem) come from the pic , but, don't blame 100% on the cam, the cause could be in low light, the cam switch to a high ISO setting for example . Try some outdoor pics to judge .
If you print, use the same glossy paper for each cam you tried( I guess you intend to do so anyway)
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2002, 7:20 AM   #6

What is your printer model and what type of paper did you use?
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2002, 2:51 PM   #7

My gues is that it was plain paper and a low resolution setting :twisted:
JTravern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2002, 5:59 PM   #8

Prints on plain printer paper are very poor quality compared to almost ANY high gloss paper. On plain paper the ink soaks in and smears. There is less brightness and contrast. The colors are muddy. On my HP DeskJet there is a special high quality setting called PhotoRet II that only works with high gloss paper and makes a tremendous difference. No one I've shown 8x10s to so far has been able to tell if they are inkjet or photo lab enlargements without touching them or using a magnifier.
MentorRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2002, 7:03 PM   #9

Guilty as charged, JTravern. I just wanted to get some idea what the image would look like on paper. That's why I asked if the paper/printer could affect graininess.

Thanks for your response, MentorRon. Do you have a special HP Deskjet Printer? We have an HP DeskJet 932C. Do you think ours does the high res printing, too? I'd seen another post where somone was trying to calculate the cost of printing pics themselves when you add in the increased ink cartridges, paper, etc., versus having them printed. How often do you go through ink cartridges (per app. how many prints)?