Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Feb 2, 2005, 5:04 PM   #1

I bought this camera in Dec 2004 primarily to take pics of my children playing sports (football, horseriding, gymnastics). The focusing is so slow that all of my shots are when my daughter had landed after the vault or the show-jump. I am resigned to buying another camera (and have asked for some advice). But can I change the settings on this camera to try to improve the situation? HELP!
newcomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 18, 2005, 10:24 PM   #2

Keep the canon for other pics - it's a nice camera.
Fast cameras that spring to mind are the Minolta G400 - start up to taking photo in about 1 sec flat!! Also the Fuji E550/F810 have quick reactions. These are smaller quality snapshot cameras - check them out in the reviews as I think you may find them quite reasonable for that use
Geoff
Geoff Chandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2005, 5:21 AM   #3

newcomer wrote:
Quote:
I bought this camera in Dec 2004 primarily to take pics of my children playing sports (football, horseriding, gymnastics). The focusing is so slow that all of my shots are when my daughter had landed after the vault or the show-jump. I am resigned to buying another camera (and have asked for some advice). But can I change the settings on this camera to try to improve the situation? HELP!
Use autofocus on the vault, then hit manual. You should now remain focused on the vault. As soon as your daughter goes off the vault, you can get your shot. Or you can focus to some point a little closer, then hit the manual, and you can catch your daughter coming off the vault approaching a landing. Pretty neat!
Ponin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2005, 11:28 AM   #4

Also, try taking all your pics in continuous (i.e. burst) mode. If I remember correctly, the Pro1 has something like 2+ fps so you should be able to take around 2 pictures per second. Follow the other advice mentioned here (i.e. pre-focus, manual focus, etc) but also set it to continuous mode and take all your pics that way. Out of every 5 pics, one pic may be useful...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2005, 12:31 AM   #5

Hey Bro U also need to do a firmware update you will see a major difference
CHEERS
PuR HART is offline   Reply With Quote