Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Nov 19, 2002, 10:37 AM   #1

Default Total newbie needs help with Minolta Dimage 7i

Hi there, I am a total newbie to the concept of digital photograpy. Before this year, the last time I used a camera seriously was about 30 years ago! In those days I was using a Leica M3, a wide angle Rollieflex and a very early Pentax Spotmatic!

These days I am running a website for members of the Queen's Life Guard (The Household Cavalry Mounted Regiment) at http://www.hcmr-photos.org.uk. We have been providing up to date (and very amateur) digital images of the QLG.

For the first two months I was using a borrowed, conventional, compact camara (Nikon Lite Touch 70W Zoom) and scanning in the photographs. Now we have a new Minolta Dimage 7i and I have been learning how to use it this week.

Could any please point me in the right direction to find a decent tutorial on how to use this excellent camera, or offer any advice on the results so far. I especially need help on the longer shots and how to get the best focus and sharpness. I use Photoshop 7 to prepare the images for the website.
amcbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 19, 2002, 10:57 AM   #2

Try the Shortcourses web site: http://www.shortcourses.com/
It will provide you insight to world of digital photography.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2002, 12:18 PM   #3

Default Newbie needs help

:P Thanks for your advice, I have been visiting tutorial websites and doing a lot of reading on the subject. The great thing about digital is is, I can take lots of practise shots and not worry about the cost of film or processing!
Old Nov 19, 2002, 12:36 PM   #4

Arthur

You are correct, the more shots the merry. You do not even have to print if you do want to. Email, post on web sites, burn cds to provide others with your pics.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2002, 1:56 PM   #5

Shoot lots and spend some time looking at them.

I'd suggest shooting with a wider (shorter) zoom setting. With your camera you have pixels to spare so you can try different compositions after-the-fact and learn what works best. As an example, the picture below might be better if the horse's head in the background hadn't been cut off.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2002, 2:22 PM   #6

Thanks for that Bill, I realise now that I should pay more detail to composition. Maybe I will need to relearn the short shots before I try and tackle the long shots.

By the way, that photo you quoted was scanned from a conventional photograph, I just had a look to see if I had cropped the original, but I did cut off the horse's head in the composition.

But this is just the kind of advice I need, we didn't have the internet when I taught myself all those years ago, and any more lessons will be thoroughly absorbed and hopefully, practised.
Old Nov 19, 2002, 4:58 PM   #7

you'll find that the D7 series in program will allow you to concentrate on composition. it exposes images usually quite well in fact it tends to underexpose a tiny bit. i would get into the habit of using the bracketing feature available on the camera. get a reasonable size CF card say about 256MB and start firing away and enjoy it. it will grow on you. and get easier to use. then you can start to experiment and burn up those batteries.

speaking of batteries get at least 2 sets of 4 1800MH NIMH along with a good quality charger. Maha is an excellent manufacturer of charges. this camera does tend to have an appitite for the little darlings. depending on your use of flash and your use of the monitor on the back you should get about 120+ shots out of a charge.

a protective UV filter with a max ring depth thickness of 4mm will keep the front end happy and safe. the 4mm max is because the wide angle will tend to vignette on the corners if it is thicker. Hoya And B+W make these thin type filters.

in the menu you can set the monitor to default off to save energy. you can still access it using the quick view button to review.

hote thats a start for you
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote