Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Feb 8, 2005, 11:51 AM   #1

I recently bought a Canon A85. I'm new to the digital camera stuff but the guy at the camera shop where I bought it adjusted the settings for me. He told me to keep it in the Program mode (P). The red-eye reduction is always on, but in nearly every photo I've taken, everyone's got glowing red eyes. Is the camera faulty? Am I doing something wrong? I wonder if it's a common problem for the A85. Can anyone recommend a setting to fix this? Thanks in advance for your help.
Boldstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 8, 2005, 2:40 PM   #2
Administrator

As a general rule, the closer a flash is to a camera's lens, the greater the potential for redeye.

The best way to reduce it is with a camera using an external flash, located further away from the lens.

With a small camera, your best bet is to correct it with software when it occurs.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2005, 11:50 AM   #3

Thanks for your advice JimC. But I was really hoping to find a way to adjust the camera settings to help. You'd think a red-eye reduction setting would reduce red-eye.

My problem with the software method is the inability to upload the pictures back to the memory card. To my knowledge it can't be done that way. And without a CD burner I'm kinda screwed for getting the pictures printed at the local Wal-Mart. (I suppose there's always the email option.)

Thanks anyway.
Old Feb 9, 2005, 1:28 PM   #4

1. Re: Uploading back to memory card: Yes, you can upload back to a memory card. On my Mac, and using a CARD READER, the cards show up as just another disk... like a floppy... and I can copy from, delete, or add to the files on the card. Without knowing your setup (and without practicing this on whatever Windows version you run) I can't tell you how to do this, but I would suspect that a memory card in a reader would work similarly on your machine. Perhaps someone else can be of more help there.

1b (if you're taking pictures you want to save, get a CD burner. They're cheap, they're quite fast, and they allow you to back up your photos to another physical location, which is great if your computer's hard drive crashes or you get a file-destroying virus)

1c. Wal-Mart's photo processing software at the store allows you to remove red-eye.

2. Red-eye reduction supposedly works by using those pre-flashes to get the subject's eye's iris to close, making the pupil smaller so the flash cannot reflect off the back of your eye and appear red. But when you are close to the subject, and th ambient light is dim, and your flash is close to the lens (such that a corresponding flash reflection bounces back at an almost equal angle) you get red eye. Your camera is not defective; red eye reduction just doesn't work very well. Some cameras are worse than others.
perdendosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2005, 1:04 PM   #5

Thanks for your advice perdendosi. Just this morning I figured out how to upload images to the camera's memory card. There's actually a function in the Canon software that doesit. I guess I'm still learning how to use it. (I'm running Windows 2000 Pro and although the camera appears as another drive in Windows Explorer, files can only be downloaded there, not uploaded. The drag-and-drop doesn't work.)

I know that I should have my own CD burner, etc., but right now my only PC is a laptop provided by my employer. It's difficult to justify buying a home set-up when I've got a machine to use for free at the moment.With any luck I'll get fired one of these days and then I'll be forced to buy my own computer!