Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Feb 11, 2005, 9:31 PM   #1

Quick noob question:

During the holidays I picked up a DRebel/kit and related accessories (28-135mm, 50mm, sigma 500, batt. etc) and started to get more involved. Working on teaching myself with a couple of self help books and taking LOTS of shots (of everything).

My problem seems to be how to keep the camera (and lens) handy. It seems with all the gear I am unable to keep the camera convenient and have to pack up and go out on a "hunting" trip to shoot. However I wish I could just keep enough gear to grab a shot when I see it, whether driving or walking in the park, hiking, trip to the zoo, etc.

Is there a good way to transport such a large body/lens in a convenient manner. All the small hip bags I have looked at won't accomadate the body with a larger lens attached.

What do you folks do? Do you just make deliberate shooting trips or do you try to keep gear handy for impromtu moments? I am concerned about leaving the gear in the car (theft, temperatures, etc).

I have a smaller (canon A80) camera that I can easily travel with but it seems a shame to have nice gear and not have it easily accessible.

This noob could really use some guidance, I am not sure how to go about using my new gear day-to-day.

Thanks once again for all your feedback.
davedeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 11, 2005, 10:14 PM   #2

I've used a LowePro Orion hip-pack for almost every camera system I've owned. That includes a Canon D30 DSLR w/Battery grip, a Minolta A1 w/battery grip, several lenses, filters, CF cards & transfer gear plus most of my cables for different studio light connections.

The best thing about it is the zippers close against the body (nobody is going to unzip your bag without you knowing it)& the top opens away from the body. The opened top creats a kind of a shelf that helps while doing things without items falling. It's very comfortable to wear, use & doesn't look like a million bucks worth of stuff.

I've actually sold 2 as parts of camera systems, but I have always gone back to this same bag...it's that good!
Old Feb 11, 2005, 11:00 PM   #3

Looking at Lowepro.com I see three, is it this one
http://www.lowepro.com/Products/Back.../Orion_AW.aspx

Or http://www.lowepro.com/Products/Belt...sic/Orion.aspx

or http://www.lowepro.com/Products/Belt...rion_Mini.aspx

Thx
Old Feb 12, 2005, 12:27 AM   #4

The second one...
Old Feb 12, 2005, 8:00 AM   #5

I keep my big rig in a camera bag when I'm not using it.

Realistically, I bought a small point and shoot, and Pentax Optio 30, that I keep in my jacket pocket for quick grab shots.

A lot of pro photographers I know I have a high quality point and shoot for grab shots where they don't want to lug around their big rig. Back in the film days, having a nice expensive little Leicawould produce great shots, was pocketable, and had immense snob value (lol).

These days, I'm not sure there's a digital point and shoot equivalent to the Leica. However, there's more and more little pocketable 5 and 6 meg camera's going for under $400 if you shop around enough on the web, which is about the price ofone decentthird party lens for your Rebel.
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2005, 9:45 AM   #6
kex

I'm using a Lowepro Mini Trekker Classic for my equipement (Nikon D70, Nikkor 28-80, Sigma 70-300 + cleaning tools and CF cards) and there's still a lot of space unused.
kex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2005, 3:43 PM   #7

Do you guys take your gear with you everywhere you go? on special occasions? or just take it on deliberate "shooting" excursions?

thx
Old Feb 21, 2005, 11:05 PM   #8

I at least keep my gear in the car, that way it's available if needed.
rob_strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2005, 8:14 AM   #9

I go out on specific shooting trips. But that is because of what I shoot and what I shoot with. But there are days I think about getting a smaller pocket camera so I bring it more places.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2005, 10:48 AM   #10

davedeal wrote:
Quote:
Do you guys take your gear with you everywhere you go? on special occasions? or just take it on deliberate "shooting" excursions?

thx

All of the above
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote