Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Feb 12, 2005, 5:09 PM   #1

Is it possible for the filter to affect this?
andreaclassen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 12, 2005, 11:09 PM   #2

Yes, there are some people who do not use protective filters on their lenses for just that reason...they use lens hoods for protection instead which doesn't put a $3 piece of glass in front of their $500 lens.
Meryl Arbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2005, 11:57 PM   #3

Yes, am in agreement with Meryl. If you do use a filter buy high quality, like a Hoya, B+W or Tiffen.

For a filter that 105mm size the only maker I can find locally theSigma brand filter and it is retailing for 250$cdn.

Peter.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2005, 12:02 AM   #4

I prefer to use a UV filter on all my lenses for the very purpose of protecting it. On my Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 $800 lens, I have a $75 B+W UV Filter. I'm not going to put a $10 No name filter on it. So, if you buy cheap filters, it may degrade the quality of the images you can get from the lens. Buy high quality and it wont make a difference. It may add more to the price of the lens, but if you scratch it, it'll be worth every penny you spend on it. I can't imagine trying to justify to my wife another $800 on the same lens I just bought.
rob_strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2005, 12:04 AM   #5

PeterP wrote:
Quote:
For a filter that 105mm size the only maker I can find locally the Sigma brand filter and it is retailing for 250$cdn.
B & H has filters for lenses all the way up to 150mm and also has your 105mm B+W Multicoated for $145US
rob_strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2005, 9:03 AM   #6

Thanks all! my filter is a kenko 105mm one, not sure of the name/model but are these bad quality ones?
andreaclassen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2005, 11:40 AM   #7

Not bad, converted to cdn that works out to about 200$ which is a little cheaper than the Sigma I can find here.

Peter.

rob_strain wrote:

Quote:
B & H has filters for lenses all the way up to 150mm and also has your 105mm B+W Multicoated for $145US
Old Feb 13, 2005, 11:44 AM   #8

I use kenko brand extension tubes, they have no optical parts and are 1/2 the price of the name brand Canon ones. :-)They are not a bad build, but you need to test them with your camera to make sure the set you get actually works, not all do. Not sure how they stack up filter wise, since they seem to be at the low end of the cost spectrum.

Peter.

andreaclassen wrote:
Quote:
Thanks all! my filter is a kenko 105mm one, not sure of the name/model but are these bad quality ones?
Old Apr 11, 2011, 11:54 PM   #9

Default filter sharpness

hey guys, I was just roaming the net and caught your conversation, and since I just spent the last few days and some cash totally investigating this sharpness issue of filters and lenses, I can pass on my findings to you guys...maybe it might mean something to someone.
I have heard through the grapevine for years that the german B+W and Heliopan were the best filters around quality-wise...meaning that they would not rob your lens of any sharpness. A little over a year ago I was very lucky and picked up a brand-spanking new nikon 600mm VR AF-S. I shoot surfing and use all three of nikons newest converters. I have been very happy with my investment, this is the third 600mm ED lens I've owned, and the best. Just last week my tortured mind began wondering could this beautiful black beast actually be even sharper if I replaced the 52mm nikon drop-in filter with a multicoated german, shott glass Heliopan. I approached this experiment not really expecting any earth- shaking revelations, but something inside said go-daddy go, and daddy went! In short, I'm here to tell you all the results were earth-shaking! I'm still in shock as to how much sharper that 600 has become...now I feel a lot better about all those banks I robbed to buy this beauty. Anyway, less I get so excited and get off track, the moral of this story is how a $60 little ole 52mm german heliopan filter brought out the true awesome quality of a VERY expensive heavy-wieght of a lens. I hope my lesson and enthusiasm can help some of you out there.
steve bissell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2011, 2:16 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve bissell View Post
A little over a year ago I was very lucky and picked up a brand-spanking new nikon 600mm VR AF-S. Anyway, less I get so excited and get off track, the moral of this story is how a $60 little ole 52mm german heliopan filter brought out the true awesome quality of a VERY expensive heavy-wieght of a lens.
At $10,000+ (), I'm sure you are excited and anxious to protect it. WOW!
tsquare is offline   Reply With Quote