Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Feb 13, 2005, 3:32 AM   #1

Being new to digicams, I try to understand as much as possible. Could anyone enlighten me on the ff issue:

AF Mode iESP: even when subject is not in center of the screen, focusing is possible. The AF target mark moves to the position on the monitor that is in focus.

(this is stated in Olympus C-5060 - Manual page 91; other Olympus cams will surely have same statement)

What do they mean with these lines? As far as I am concerned, that target mark on the monitor stays always in the center when in iESP. On the other hand when in SPOT, the target mark can be moved using the arrow pad.

Hope someone can help me out.

Regards and thanks.
edversyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 13, 2005, 7:35 PM   #2

Since you're asking a question specific to Olympus cameras, I'd suggest you ask on the Olympus section of the forum.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2005, 11:09 PM   #3

What they're talking about is something you may not have experienced yet, but it's correct. In certain circumstances , the focusing square in the center may not be able to focus well on the center of the subject (it depends on the nature of the subject, but usually happens when the center doesn't have good contrast), so it will automatically move slightly, up-down, right-left, to focus on another part of the scene that seems (to the camera's mind) to have good contrast. Sometimes this is good, but sometimes not, since it may decide to focus on something farther from or closer to the camera than the object you actually want to shoot. Bottom line is, if the focus square moves away from the point you want to focus on, you have to decide if that point is an acceptable alternative, or else release the button and try focusing again. Also, if you fix the focus square in the center, you'll know exactly where it is trying to focus, but the camera's little green light may come on more frequently to let you know that it can't lock focus at that point.
Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2005, 4:32 AM   #4

Thank you so much for this enlightenment. The manual do NOT mention such a detailed explanation. Now I understand why I did not see the target moving away from the center until now .... but it gonna happens some day. Thanks again and more power to you. Eddy
edversyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2005, 6:52 AM   #5

edversyp wrote:
Quote:
Thank you . . .
No sweat! :?
Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote