Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Nov 21, 2002, 11:30 PM   #1

Default Newbie needs help finding the right camera

I am looking into my first digital camera and would like some expert advice about which one is best for me.

I will be using it in numerous settings, so there is not one particular type of photo I will be taking. I just want something that has excellent pictures all around.

As far as options go, I'd like to have some manual controls but the camera must also be easy to use as I will not be the only one taking pictures. The ideal camera will take superb photos in the hands of a novice or a skilled photographer.

I would also like a camera with a decent movie mode as this si something I will definitely use....even if it is only taking short, low quality clips.

My budget is around $750.....obvioulsy I am not against spending less. Some cameras I have already looked into are the Nikon 4300, Nikon 5700, Canon G2 and G3. I am open to others.

Please help me out and let me know what cameras are right for what I need. Thanks in advance for the help.
jjjlda is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 22, 2002, 9:30 AM   #2

I would recommend the Olympus C4040, cost about $550 on the web. You could also consider the Olympus C5050, cost about $750 on the web. Go to www.dealtime.com for pricing. The C4040 is my current camera and it will do all you require. It is a 4mp camera, 3X optical zoom. I have a telephoto lens, several filters and like to be creative in my photo shooting. My wife wants to just press the button and take pictures. The camera can do both. The C5050 is a 5mp camera with some new features.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2002, 5:30 PM   #3

I had the same criteria.

Fuji 3800 is best value for money.
Alfisti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2002, 10:03 PM   #4

Have a good look at the Fuji S602. It's only 3 MP, but performs more like a good 4 MP camera (produces 6 MP files that are very good downsized a little.) It's a very flexible machine, with 6x zoom and the best video in a still camera by far. Available for about $500 from good dealers online.

On the more expensive side of your budget, the Minolta 7i is an excellent deal, with many advanced features. Includes 28-200 mm equivalent lens.

Both cameras will be fine in point and shoot mode, but may require some instruction to people who haven't used them before. They may seem intimdating to people who don't like having lots of buttons. But they're definitely more flexible than the other cameras you mentioned.

A handy list of reviews:

http://www.ecoustics.com/Home/Home_V...ras/alpha.html
Sanpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2002, 11:35 PM   #5

Thanks for all the suggestions!
jjjlda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2002, 8:34 PM   #6

look at the dimage 7i can be had for around 730.00 great camera. You will have lots of control with it. Uses AA batteries too saving you lots and CF cards not baloney memory sticks. You can also use IBM microdrives too.
rikster is offline   Reply With Quote