Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Feb 14, 2005, 9:49 PM   #1

Hi. I have a web site which has a lot of pictures on it for a business. The problem I have is getting them to load fast and not loose quality.The picturesroughly 4" x 6 " using Macro. If I reduce the file size (in Photo Shop) the image looses quality and looks like cra_. Is there a procedure or a way to keep image quality and load quickly? I've been to some sites and a picture (larger than mine)will load fast and look great but I can't figure how they do it. If the image size is large, do I cut resilution first then physical size or vise versa? What is the procedure?

Thanks Terry
tewitt1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 14, 2005, 10:12 PM   #2

For the web, think in pixels, not inches.

There are two different "downsizings" to be done for the web. The physical size (in pixels) and the file size (in KBytes). The viewer's screen can be just about any size, but in general you want your image to show completely on just about all of them. That means a maximum size something like 480Hx640W.

After you have cut the physical size by some combination of cropping and downsizing, you want to apply the most JPEG compression that does not destroy the quality of the image. That is somewhat subjective, but in general go a bit past the point where you can see some degredation - no one else is likely to look as close as you do. PhotoShop's "save for web" does a good job of that and lets you look at the trade off of file size vs image quality.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2005, 9:24 AM   #3

an excellent plug in for PS is fred mirandas web presenter pro 1.1

http://www.fredmiranda.com/shopping/WPpro

i've used it abot 2 years now. very satisfied and easy to use.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2005, 12:50 PM   #4

Bill is right on with Save for Web. Here are some other thoughts.

Sometimes speed is a function of your web server and its connection to the net. Not a whole lot you can do about that.

Sometimes speed is a function of the web page you use and its code. For example, if your (or your web creation application) specifies the physical size of the image in the IMG tag, then the page can continue with layout while the images load. If not, sometimes the images must be downloaded before anything else can be shown on the page. (See http://www.w3schools.com/tags/tag_img.aspfor information about optionalattributes in the IMG tag)

Another thing that can affect image size is the image's complexity. You may not have a lot of control over that, but, if, for example, you have a product that's been placed on an extremely compex background (let's say, a rainbow with a wave pattern), the JPG compression isn't going to be able to shrink that file much without causing severe data loss problems. On the other hand, if the product is on a white background, the JPG compression can work better and the resulting image size is smaller.

If you have specific examples you can show us (i.e. original image, compressed image, attempted file size) post them, and that will give us a better idea of what you're doing.

perdendosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2005, 2:12 PM   #5

i really love how people can make things as complex as possible.

http://www.pbase.com/crusader/image/27874865

this shot was produced from an original raw image fram a canon 1Ds converted to jpg and saved in PS at the highest level of JPG.

then downsized to a 1024x820 jpg an low sharpened in web presenter pro plug in 1.1 the most complex thing i did was upload it to the site. the shot there is put out as other various sizes but the plug in itself can do just about any size you want

8MP 1Dm2

same process

http://www.pbase.com/crusader/image/35667360/large

this with a 5MP Minolta D7Hi

same process

http://www.pbase.com/crusader/image/17738358

sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2005, 5:26 PM   #6

I don't know if this one photo will help or not. I have probably 70 or 80 on my site, all different styles of rollers. I've already cut this one down as I'm using it on my site. My site is http://www.terrysrubberrollers.com

If you scrowl down the page to the word NEW in orange coler. That will take you to many pictures.

I am going to load a picture here but it might not work. Any advise is great.

Thanks terry
Attached Images

Old Feb 15, 2005, 6:34 PM   #7

I just tryed that program from MS mentioned in anotherpost and it works great. Just a couple clicks it will take a huge 4500kbfile down to 25kb and appears as no resulution loss. Its from MS imageresizerpowertoy.

Thanks a lot all.
Old Feb 16, 2005, 6:45 AM   #8

Thats what I use on my website. I just select the images, right-click and choose resize. It works fine for the web, I wouldn't use it for other things, because you have no control other than size.
rob_strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2005, 4:28 PM   #9

Since you have PhotoShop, try the "save for web": you can reduce the size of that photo to 15K instead of the 111K you have. Us dial-up folks who *sometimes* get a connection as fast as 37Kbps will thank you. And if you have a large number of photos on one page, anyone with much under at T1 line will thank you.
Attached Images

BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2005, 5:18 PM   #10

Your right, people with dial up don't like to wait, if they have to, they're gone else where if a few seconds. I'm going to start reducing the size as soon as I get a chance.

many thanks Terry