Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Nov 23, 2002, 3:10 PM   #1

Default My old camera has 1/10,000 sec shutter ????

I was going thrugh the camera reviews awhile ago and came upon my Sanyo VPC-X350, I think it was on dpreview or one of them.
It shows that Sanyo having a shutter speed of 1/10,000 sec.
Could this be, my book on it shows that too, but that must be a misprint.
When my son played basketball, the ball was blured not stopped in flight, so I don't think it is that fast.
The Nikon coolpix 2500 only has 1/3000 sec.
It would seem to me that 1/10,000 of a second would stop any motion, but it don't.
I am puzzled. :?
Bill
Bill Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 23, 2002, 6:52 PM   #2

There are cameras with shutter speeds that high, the Fuji S602, for example. Of course, just having that speed available doesn't mean you were using it when you shot basketball. It requires a lot of light to use such a high shutter speed, and sometimes such high speeds are only available in shutter priority or manual mode.
Sanpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2002, 8:58 AM   #3

actually, such hi shutter speeds are reserved for movie modes on digicams, and not for stills, as they arew not real shutter speeds, but duration of electronic exposure of the ccd. For one thing, in order for a camera to shoot at such hi speed on an indoor game the lens must be ridiculusly fast ( not found in digicams). The only lens i know that could do that is the canon eos 50mm f1.0. Plus, in auto mode, th4 camera will not go for extreme shutter/ aperture combos.
geof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2002, 9:10 AM   #4

O'K they're not real, but in light terms, still have the same relationship. So unless your cam offers a high sensitivity ccd (or pixel output combining at low res. like the 602), or you're shooting Nukes, I can't see much use for it.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2002, 8:58 PM   #5

See this thread for some samples and discussion of shots at this shutter speed:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/read....essage=3842163

I think it would be very useful for some very fast and very well lit phenomena. The samples given in the thread linked to show that it's workable without pixel combining, but the subjects shown don't require such a high speed.
Old Nov 28, 2002, 5:11 AM   #6

Sanpete... I think the useful output from the links you posted, is there are fast action macro applications where a normal flash so close looks like a million suns and ultra fast shutter speeds can cope with the action and bright light source. Thanks.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2002, 2:42 PM   #7

I think you're overestimating the amount of light needed for this shutter speed. It's only about 3 stops faster than the standard 1/1,000 shutter speed and can easily be used in other settings than macro shots. However, macro and close shots provide the most common settings for capturing very fast action. On a larger scale it's often harder to catch action that fast. You could probably use it to stop fast cars or baseball pitches at a distance of several feet, if you could time it right, maybe with continuous mode. Good sunlight should work, especially if you shift the ISO up, as you can do quite usably with the S602.