Old Feb 16, 2005, 7:32 PM   #1

???
Aziah is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 16, 2005, 7:53 PM   #2

Squonk wrote:
Quote:
There's a pretty good description of RAW files here :-

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/understanding-series/u-raw-files.shtml

Using a RAW file helps you to have more control over your finished image and can lead to "better quality" results. If you shoot JPG then before you've even started working on it you have a loss of image quality due to the lossy jpg compression and you've let the camera decide how to sharpen it, what the white balance is, what the saturation is like etc. With RAW you can make all these decisions for yourself and perform these tasks on a more powerful processing platform than the chip within the camera.

Oh, and RAW is not purely for the DSLR. Though neither of the digicams I owned supported it then some do, for example :-

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2002_reviews/g3.html

:|
I have asked that question on another thread in this forum, and this was the answer I got from Squonk.
...ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2005, 8:25 PM   #3

that was very informative...thank you!!!
Aziah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2005, 9:21 PM   #4

you're welcome... and thanks to squonk too.
...ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2005, 4:53 PM   #5

Not that I'm any kind of expert - only been shooting raw for about a week as that is when I got my 20D! (as stated above, my two "creative compacts" didn't feature raw).

The main attraction for me was that I hated the idea of starting work on an image knowing that it was already degraded thanks to jpg compression. I just wish I'd known about raw when I bought those earlier cameras, it would certainly have influenced my purchasing decision.
Squonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2005, 6:15 AM   #6

Okay, seeing as this is a newbie section, can anyone explain the difference between RAW and TIFF mode? Sorry if there is a very obvious answer.
JohnReid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2005, 9:16 AM   #7

RAW is the unmodified output from the camera sensor. TIF like JPG has been mangled by the cameras attempt at applying various internal processing to the file. TIF is uncompressed and is huge. On my old 5mp nikon P&S that had the TIF option a JPG was about 3meg, a raw was around 6meg and aTIF was close to 13meg. My DSLR's only offers RAW and jpg.

However TIF files havetheir place,if you are making image submissions a 16bit tif is a preferred format. IMHO: it is just not a good format for in camera use.

Peter
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote