Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Nov 25, 2002, 12:00 AM   #1

Default JPG vs RAW vs TIFF

:?: I'm closing in on selecting a 3MP camera. I've been leaning toward the Canon S30, but my wife recently became enamoured of the Fuji A303. I like that it only needs 2 AA batteries, so I can buy plenty of spare rechargables.

My only concern is that the Fuji only stores in JPG format, and I'm worried about a loss of resolution if I want to perform any edits: cropping, brightness, etc.

My concern about the Canon is that RAW format is not yet supported by iPhoto, but I've read about work arounds.

Any thoughts on whether JPG only is a show stopper for someone who will only be taking the usual family photos, but in a lot of low light conditions?
john_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 25, 2002, 12:55 AM   #2

John,
In my opinion, it should not be a "real" problem. HQ jpeg plenty fits my needs. My cam can take jpeg,tiff,raw, and 99% of the time I use jpegs
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2002, 3:35 AM   #3

Dont concern about the jpeg - it will fully fullfill your needs (you pointed you that you're point and shooter). If your only use your photos to watch on PC or print out once in a while forget the RAW.

I'd go for the FUJI
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2002, 7:45 AM   #4

As long as your new camera gives you a variety of JPEG image sizes you should be fine with just using that storage option. The variety of image sizes will allow you to make better use of the available space on the memory card on your camera, depending on whether you intend to print, publish on the net etc.

You may also find that TIFF is very slow when it comes to saving to the memory card.
checklg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2002, 9:18 AM   #5

My Olympus C4040 will shoot Tiff. I tried it and then compared it SHQ jpg shots and could not tell significant difference. My eyes are old and have been used for 59 years. If the camera can shoot SHQ or HQ jpg it shoot fit your needs.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2002, 9:23 AM   #6

If you shoot HQ JPEG, edit in one session and save once to JPEG file size, same or larger than original, you should be OK.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2002, 11:31 AM   #7

Thank you all for the input. That really puts my mind at ease. The fact that the Fuji is OSX compatible seals the deal for me.

Thanks again.
john_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2002, 2:25 PM   #8

I recently started using the Canon RAW mode and have found it to be very powerful. It allows you to modify white balance, sharpness and saturation AFTER you have taken the picture. The files are about 50% larger than comparable JPGs.

I was able to change the white balance on some really reddish indoor shots taken without the flash. The results were amazing.

BreezeBrowser has a wonderful converter that will output files to JPG or TIFF format. This will let you edit pictures with virtually any photo software, giving you the best of both worlds.

The down side is it takes about 40 seconds per picture to make the conversion and the files are bigger than JPGs. I have started archiving the CRAW (Canon RAW) pix and writing them to a CDROM when I have enough to fill a disk.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2002, 2:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildman
I recently started using the Canon RAW mode and have found it to be very powerful. It allows you to modify white balance, sharpness and saturation AFTER you have taken the picture. The files are about 50% larger than comparable JPGs.
It's strange: I'd say that RAW should be at least 10-20 times bigger than JPEG, not 50%. Does it allow to modify all the above parameters right in camera? Otherwise with Photoshop you can modify JPEG/TIFF files as well. I'd like to have RAW for it's 16 bit/channel support...
Sergey
twopizza is offline   Reply With Quote