Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Feb 20, 2005, 8:47 AM   #1

i have a pentax optio s4 and the pictures I take seem to come out really pixelated/noisy compared to other cameras.
is there some settings I should use to make the pictures clearer.
I take most of my pictures in low light conditions when im on a night out.
At night I can understand the quality will not be as good, as im not using the night mode.....
But even at day time sometimes it comes out really poor, heres a example.
http://edli.liquidhost.biz/photos/IMGP0386.JPG

is it the camera? that photo was taken in bright conditions with the sensitivity set to auto

any ideas, should I be looking for a new camera?
edmundli is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 20, 2005, 3:45 PM   #2

What were the settings the picture was taken with?
apeture, shutter speed, ISO, focual length

The problem is the camera, but also in you. The camera, because it was set to auto you let it pick the settings. And it clearly didn't pick very well. It looks like the ISO setting was high (at least, not the lowest setting) and so you got digital noise. The higher the ISO, the higher the shutter speed but the more noise you get. Eventually there is so much noise that the quality is degraded. Where that point is is different on every camera. One of the reasons I paid around $1499 for my camera (Canon 20D) is that I can shoot at ISO400 is still get good quality shots with an acceptable amount of noise.

You have to learn more about photography and stop using auto. This will give you more control and then you can pick more appropriate settings for the picture.

Note, I know nothing about that camera. I'm just going to comment on features... you shouldn't assume that your camera doesn't have these features or do those things well.

If you really take lots of picutres at night, I would suggest you look for a camera that has an IR focusing assist light. That will let you get good focus even in absolute NO light. Neat trick, huh? The other thing you need is low noise at higher ISO values. Unfortunately the smaller digital cameras fall down in these catagories. I don't know how well yours does.

Another trick to solve your problem is the program neatimage. Search for it and give it a try, they have a demo you can use as often as you want. It removes digital noise... does a really good job.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2005, 4:21 PM   #3

i just took another picture with iso set to 50.
heres what it looks like:
http://edli.liquidhost.biz/photos/IMGP1577.JPG

less noisy than before but still not what i want....

when i prefocus i see these settings on screen.
1/60
F2.6
edmundli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2005, 9:42 PM   #4

If you find that ISO50 has too much noise for you, then you only have two choices.

Replace the camera or try out neatimage. ISO50 should have the least amount of noise your camera will produce.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2005, 7:11 AM   #5

The second picture doesn't look too bad. But sometimes, 1/60 can produce image blur if you don't hold the camera steady enough. Usually, ISO 50 shouldn't give much noticeable noise or pixelation. So maybe it's just a prob with the camera....although the second pic looks just fine.

Maybe in this second pic, you could have even made the shutter speed faster, or use a higher aperture number.
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote