Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Nov 25, 2002, 12:26 AM   #1

Default Need referral for an Olympus Digicam- for elderly man

My dad wants a new camera, his D100 doesn't work any more.

He is 71, so we need a referral for something extremely reliable, EASY TO USE for a NON-technical person, has USB for dumping pictures, zoom lens (dont care about digital zoom, it's a crock anyway), and isn't overloaded with features.
We are looking in the $200-$400 range.

Many of the digital cameras < $1000 dont last more than 1-2 years with moderate use. It seems they are desined to break just whe the next model comes out, so the consumer is faced with buying the latest camera every few years.

Is there something out there that meets our requirements above ?

thanks

Tony
cappy2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 25, 2002, 6:02 AM   #2

Quote:
Many of the digital cameras < $1000 dont last more than 1-2 years with moderate use. It seems they are desined to break just whe the next model comes out, so the consumer is faced with buying the latest camera every few years.
Where did you get this information ? Just curios!
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2002, 8:22 AM   #3

Tony

You could consider an Olympus D550, D520, or D510. They are all small and have great point and shoot attributes. Check www.dealtime.com for pricing. All of these cameras should run about $200 or less. BTW, my son is still using my Olympus D460Z which is about 4 years old.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2002, 9:55 PM   #4

Quote:
"Klaus DK" Many of the digital cameras < $1000 dont last more than 1-2 years with moderate use. It seems they are desined to break just whe the next model comes out, so the consumer is faced with buying the latest camera every few years.

Where did you get this information ? Just curios!
I have a CP 950, that has a flakey switch, I have co-workers with C3030's and RDC7's with other problems. Most of the people I know that have digicams, paid less than $800 for them, and they each have need to be repaired for one reason or another.
Old Nov 25, 2002, 10:17 PM   #5

[quote="gibsonpd3620"]Tony

>>You could consider an Olympus D550, D520, or D510.
Thanks for replying Gibson.

One of the things I'm trying to avoid is a camera with to many features that you have to navigate your way through many levels of menus, just to change somehthing simple- like say picture resolution.

My father tends to get overwhelmed with too many features.
I looked at th specs for the D550, it looks like it offers a lot. I'm afraid it might offer too much for him, even though the cost is reasonable.

Maybe I'll find one in a store and play with it to see how it works.

thanks

tony
Old Nov 26, 2002, 8:01 AM   #6

Tony
Good luck.

Phil
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2002, 1:46 PM   #7
lg

Default C-2100 - look and feel of a SLR...

Tony, aside from "new" and "isn't overloaded with features", I believe your father would be extremely comfortable with a refurbished Olympus C-2100, which can be purchased with all accessories needed for under $400. It has the same look and feel as the D100, is extremely easy to use, and has a killer 10x digitally stabilized lens. The pics are superb, and are fine for anything up to 8x10. Everyone in my family from my 10 year old daughter on up to and including my wife has taken excellent pictures with this camera. In fact, I'm so pleased with it that I just purchased a second one to use as a backup!
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2002, 11:14 PM   #8

The C-2100 is a great camera, but it's not one of the more reliable models, and I don't think you'll be able to get more than a 90-day warranty on one.
Sanpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2002, 12:22 AM   #9

Default Re: C-2100 - look and feel of a SLR...

Thanks. What is a digitally stabilized lens ?
Do you mean the digital zoom ?

Form what I've seen, digital zoom is the most over-reated and under-used feature on any digital camera. I've only used mine once, and nevr again, because it's just marketing hype.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lg
Tony, aside from "new" and "isn't overloaded with features", I believe your father would be extremely comfortable with a refurbished Olympus C-2100, which can be purchased with all accessories needed for under $400. It has the same look and feel as the D100, is extremely easy to use, and has a killer 10x digitally stabilized lens. The pics are superb, and are fine for anything up to 8x10. Everyone in my family from my 10 year old daughter on up to and including my wife has taken excellent pictures with this camera. In fact, I'm so pleased with it that I just purchased a second one to use as a backup!
Old Dec 2, 2002, 12:54 PM   #10
lg

Default Re: C-2100 - look and feel of a SLR...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cappy2112
Thanks. What is a digitally stabilized lens ?
Do you mean the digital zoom ?
A digitally stabilized lens is like a "steadycam" used on TV cameras that allows them to take steady shots of extremely long zoomed shots without shaking the camera. This has nothing to do with a digital zoom! What I should have said is that this will allow you to take pictures at lower shutter speeds without blurring the image because of camera shake.

The image stabilizer is activated when you prefocus, or press down the lens halfway. After about 1 second the image just seems to magically "float", allowing you to take sharper, clearer pictures of distant subjects without a tripod because the electronics are taking out the distortions you cause by accidentally moving the camera.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote