Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Feb 27, 2005, 10:27 AM   #1

I am using at present the Panasonic FZ20 which is a great camera but im not quite happy with the fiddly exposure settings etc and taking photography quite seriously now and taking courses in it i am awaiting my Canon EOS 20D to arrive this week, but!, im still unsure what the best lense would be to use in my prefered field, i.e. wildlife, sport (dogs running etc) the lense that comes with the kit 18-55 i am told is a basic lense but with a restricted budget now i would like to buy an additional lense but alas with not much wonga left!! so any ideas, advise would be hugely appreciated. Oh and yes please can anyone advise me of a site, link to help with SLR lenses.:?
barkerlass is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 27, 2005, 11:09 AM   #2

Welcome to the wonderful world of DSLRs. Your post reminds me of the question "Describe the world and give three examples". :-)

Take a look at the Canon Digital EOSand Canon Lens threads on this web site as well as the Canon Info site or any of a bunch of others you can find by "Googling" EOS 20D.

I have had my 20D since November and am just starting to scratch the surface concerning its capabilities after a thousand shots. You have a steep hill to climb, just enjoy the journey and learn as you go along. You think your old camera is fiddly? The EOS 20D will rewrite the definition of fiddly for you!

It's not an inexpensive transition... there's always the next lens that you really, really need. Good luck.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2005, 2:12 PM   #3

Thanks wildman for your reply, Oh such true words you speak! yes i know i have a long journey ahead, but im always up for a challenge. Il follow advise and check out sites more thoroughly. Regards.
Old Feb 27, 2005, 4:47 PM   #4

barkerlass,

You could save significant dollars if you bought a pentax *ist DS, which is about $500 cheaper (about $900 US).

That would give you a budget of $500 for lenses. Used pentax lenses are easy to find, so you could buy a fairly long lens fairly cheaply for your sporting interests.

If you have the extra dollars the new Canon Digital Rebel XT will be priced around $1,000 US, or you could look at the Nikon D70 for around $1,000 too.

I have the Canon 20D which runsjust over$1400 US dollars which is a failry serious semi-professional camera.

You should be able to find something in your price range that meets your needs.

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2005, 6:29 PM   #5

If you want better image quality, I recommend getting the EF-S 17-85mm, great image quality. If you are shooting dogs, you might need some more telephoto, not so much aperture if it is outdoors. Sigma 70-200mm? I have read some good things about those.
Ponin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2005, 7:05 PM   #6

I went with the EOS 20D simply because, since lenses constitute the biggest investment in this hobby, Canon (and the other EOS compatible lenses) make the biggest variety. Your lenses should be useable long after your camera body has become "outdated" by the next version.

Once you have chosen a manufacturer, it will cost a lot to switch. Canon EOS lenses don't fit Nikons and Nikons don't fit Olympi. Sigma and other third companies make lenses that fit either, but not any others.

I bought a Canon EF-S 17-85IS lens with my 20D. It[s a great everyday "walk around" lens. Not cheap (about $500 when you buy the camera) but terrific for taking on a trip. The much less expensive EF18-55 lens is a good starter, but doesn't produce the same quality pix, from what I've read. Its $100 price tag make it a good alternative if your budget is a driver. Also consider the EF50 1.8 ($70) for low light situations. I've taken wonderful pictures in a candle lit environment without a flash with this lens.

The best (or worst :roll part about DSLRs is that there's ALWAYS a new lens to buy.
Old Feb 28, 2005, 2:11 AM   #7

Yes i see where you are coming from about other modelsbut my 20D arrives tomorrow! I did consider the Nikon D70 but reviews kept coming up with more noise at higher ISO and i am getting that with my FZ20. Thanks for advise on lenses will take on board.
Old Feb 28, 2005, 2:14 AM   #8

Thanks for advise on lenses for 20D, i too have read good views on the sigma 70 - 200mm if budgetis tight. i will look into this today.
Old Feb 28, 2005, 2:20 AM   #9

Thanks for advise on lenses, great help (need every bit of it). I will look into the ones you mentioned especially EF50 1.8 for low light situations. Can you recommend using the alternative battery to canon (hahnel HL511) as half price! but do not want to cut corners too much if the saying "you get what you pay for" comes to mind.
Old Feb 28, 2005, 11:17 AM   #10

I have a couple of 3rd party batteries for my 20D and they work just fine. The battery life of the camera is amazing, but a spare is a good idea. I bought mine from Battery Barn... good service and reliable products.

Also be sure you have enough compact flash card space, particularly if/when you decide to switch to RAW mode shooting.

Good luck and happy shooting...