Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Mar 1, 2005, 12:53 PM   #1

Well its here and im impressed!! wow its a mind field of technology but after a few hours with it im liking it alot. I have a HUGE wayto go with it , but will enjoy every step. I have the 18-55mm that came with it and iv ordered the 55-200mm for more action shots. Happy happy happy!
barkerlass is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 1, 2005, 6:05 PM   #2

Congrats. I'm anxious to join the ranks. Be interesting to read how it goes after you have had more time with it. What were you shooting with before?

Steve
BrierS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2005, 3:47 AM   #3

Hi Steve, I was using the Panasonic FZ20 and i also have a Fuji S7000 which i love, but cant keep em all!! so the Panasonic has to go, its a great little camera and had great results from it but getting more adventurous i wanted the SLR and had my mind set on the EOS 20D after many weeks of reading reviews and looking at end results re. pictures. I have a long way to go learning about the 20D but looking forward to every step! just wish the weather would improve so i can get out there and put us through our paces!! what camera are you using? Bev.
Old Mar 2, 2005, 7:25 AM   #4

Bev
I am presently using the little brother to your s7000 (s5000) and an older Kodak digital that I started with. Coming from the Nikon 2020 35mm the Kodak seemed like what it is; a play toy. The Fujifilm s5000 was the first real step into the digital world. I have taken a slightly different route by purchasing printers first. Having had a number of printers that would not match the capability of the s5000, I bought the Canon i9900 and an Epson C86. I use the latter for fast, less critical printing needs and the i9900 for when I get something I really want to work on in PhotoShop 7. So, my next step will probably be one of the digital darkroom computers, a LaCie monitor and then the EOS 20D. Though I can use the lenses from my Nikon 2020 they would not actually take advantage of the 20D's functions. It is fun investing in such a worthwhile hobby.:G After trying to figure out which of my AA batteries were charging and which ones were not, I ordered a La Crosse BC charger/conditioner. See . . . just one more investment . . .
Best
Steve
Old Mar 2, 2005, 9:09 AM   #5

BrierS wrote:
Quote:
Bev
I am presently using the little brother to your s7000 (s5000) and an older Kodak digital that I started with. Coming from the Nikon 2020 35mm the Kodak seemed like what it is; a play toy. The Fujifilm s5000 was the first real step into the digital world. I have taken a slightly different route by purchasing printers first. Having had a number of printers that would not match the capability of the s5000, I bought the Canon i9900 and an Epson C86. I use the latter for fast, less critical printing needs and the i9900 for when I get something I really want to work on in PhotoShop 7. So, my next step will probably be one of the digital darkroom computers, a LaCie monitor and then the EOS 20D. Though I can use the lenses from my Nikon 2020 they would not actually take advantage of the 20D's functions. It is fun investing in such a worthwhile hobby.:G After trying to figure out which of my AA batteries were charging and which ones were not, I ordered a La Crosse BC charger/conditioner. See . . . just one more investment . . .
Best
Steve
Not to be a stickler... but the s5000, and 5100 are not truly the smaller brother to the s7000.*tlmiller10 sticklers you*

In actuality the s602z is the true ancestor to the s7000, in form, design, super ccd sensor, etc. They are identical expect for a few points that were updated. Like wise the s20 Pro is a close close half brother to both.

The 5000/5100 is a good camera, which I would say is more of a cousin to the s7000/s602z camera line. =o)

*ends the stickling* =o)

Hehehe

Happy shooting!!

-tlmiller10
Proud Fuji s602z User
tlmiller10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2005, 9:28 AM   #6

Bev
I gratiously stand corrected . . . actually I nearly typed "cousin" in my earlier post. Must be the results of moving the latest 6" of snow this morning (cold & wet).
Happy shooting.
Steve
Old Mar 2, 2005, 11:39 AM   #7

BrierS wrote:
Quote:
Bev
I gratiously stand corrected . . . actually I nearly typed "cousin" in my earlier post. Must be the results of moving the latest 6" of snow this morning (cold & wet).
Happy shooting.
Steve
=o) sorry to be a stickler...

-tlmiller10
tlmiller10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2005, 12:52 PM   #8

Hi Steve, Interesting you talk about printers, iv just bought the hp photosmart 7762 and find it great with the 20D (although iv got a lot of practice with the handshake problem at the mo) how do you find the performance of the canon 19900? whats its resolution? as heard quite good views on this one, may i state since i got the hp!!! sounds like weather not too different from over here) YUK!!
Old Mar 2, 2005, 8:05 PM   #9

I've had my 20D for about 2 weeks and I like it a lot.

The menu system and controls are somewhat intuitive to use, especially if you've used a Canon digital or film camera in the past.

The camera takes rockin good images. However, you may have to play around with the saturation or sharpness to get that digital photo look you might be used to.

Definitely a classy camera however. The shear speed of it: instant on, no shutter lag. The only thing slightly disconcerning is the major mirror clap when you take a photo. But you get used to it.

Terry

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2005, 10:25 PM   #10

barkerlass wrote:
Quote:
Hi Steve, Interesting you talk about printers, iv just bought the hp photosmart 7762 and find it great with the 20D (although iv got a lot of practice with the handshake problem at the mo) how do you find the performance of the canon 19900? whats its resolution? as heard quite good views on this one, may i state since i got the hp!!! sounds like weather not too different from over here) YUK!!
My i9900 (acutally everyones I would hope) is 4800 x 2400 dpi and uses two picoliter droplets. Fast and fantastic output though I haven't tried the maxium format size (I think that would be your A3+ ???). I also have a couple of HPs. My bought their wide carraige when it first came out. If I am not mistaken it was able to print 17" x 19". No comparison to today's printers. It does have the individual tanks. My newer HP is the 1120. That one has earned me a credit from HP on any of their uptrade models. It has a couple of flaws they were unable to correct. I am waiting on the uptrade.

You mean we are not the only ones getting YUK for weather? Turned from snow to colder. I am reading 21 degrees F at nearly 11:30 PM Eastern Time.
Steve