Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Mar 3, 2005, 6:49 AM   #1

Can anyone give me any feedback on the converter lenses to use on Canon EOS 20D especially the 1.4, is there image quality reduction? would be used mostly with 55-200mm F4-5.6. tHANKS.
barkerlass is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 3, 2005, 7:46 AM   #2

Depending on the quality of the lens, the quality of the TC will not matter. The only ones that I would even vauguely consider are the Kenko, Sigma and the Canon one. The Canon TC is much better.

If you purchased used, the "second generation" TCs are the same optically but have other advantages (they can be stacked.)

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2005, 10:23 AM   #3

Not all TCs are compatible with all lenses, so be sure before you buy. If you're wrong, you'll be able to return it, but that can be a hassle. Enjoy your 20D.

My next lens will be the Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 with Sigma's 1.4 TC. Let us know how the lens and TC work out for you.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2005, 11:28 AM   #4

Going on what you said about not all TC's are compatible, i spoke to two diferent companys today selling the 1.4 TC and one said that it is not compatible with the lense that i want to use it for ( 55-200mmF4-5.6) the other said it is, now im completely confused!!! my tele lense is great but i need that little bit more for wildlife shots, my next step would be the 70-300mm would this be beneficial if theTC is not compatible. HELP!
Old Mar 3, 2005, 11:31 AM   #5

I will do, especially now that one company said that 1.4.TC is not compatible with my lense (55-200mmF4-5.6) and the other company said it was (Sigma lense by the way). Will have to do more homework on this as looking for a little more punch in wildlife shots. Thanks.
Old Mar 3, 2005, 2:51 PM   #6

On thing to think about is the 1.4 TC will make your lens a f5.6-7.8. That's going to be an awful slow lens... and I'm guessing your autofocus isn't going to be real happy about it either...

Mr_Saginaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2005, 3:37 PM   #7

Thanks for that, i have been given none of this advice from the companys that i have phoned for advice regarding adding TC's , but i suppose i should'nt of expected much else, or should I?? many thanks i think i will give it a miss and save my pennies and get a better lense. Many thanks.
Old Mar 3, 2005, 8:07 PM   #8

You should check out the compatibility lists for tc's. I dont believe that the Canon or Sigma tc's will work with that lens, because they have protruding elements which will strike the rear element of the lens! :shock:
David
Gandalf065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2005, 9:13 PM   #9

Very good point, I forgot about that.

The Canon TC will almost certainly not work with that lens because of a protruding rear element. You can get around this with a short extention tube, but you'll loose some infinity focus by doing it.

I didn't think the sigma had the protruding element, but I could be wrong. I don't own it.

The point about loosing a stop of light (one f-stop) is right on. You won't be able to auto focus the lens at 200mm with the TC, and most of the zoom range, actually. Also, the view through the view finder will be darker.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2005, 2:16 AM   #10

Thank god for this forum and you guys, you really know your stuff! the camera and its workings i am finding really quite easy to handle but the lense side of things, well,totally different world. Thanks