Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Nov 28, 2002, 3:41 PM   #1

Default Shutter Lag?

I'm getting close to making the decision to go filmless. I still have a few concerns though. My primary concern stems from experience with a Kodak DC260. The camera takes adequate pictures, but there's time enough to read War and Peace between the moment the shutter's depressed and the image is actually recorded. Do more modern cameras (particularly the SLRs) react quicker? I've read that this was a problem on the early Canon's, but has been addressed in firmware upgrades. Does anyone know how quick the EOS D60, or the Nikon D100 react to the shutter?

My other concern is in regards to weather resistance. I'm very prone to taking pictures in just about every weather condition you can imagine. It's not uncommon for me to be shooting in a very damp humid swamp, or staking my tripod into a heavy sheet of ice. Will digital cameras survive this with the same precautions I would use with a film SLR?

I'd certainly welcome any help from someone with insight or experience in these matters.

Thanks.
JimS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 28, 2002, 7:24 PM   #2

Shutter lag can be compensated by the following methods:

Depress the shutter button halfway, the camera will auto focus, adjust white balance, etc. A light, in the viewfinder, or sound will indicate that the process is finished, then press the shutter button fully.

You can also switch to the manual mode and be rid of the shutter lag.

I have taken pics in varying type of weather. Some of our faithful are from England and do they every get terrible weather. If you provide the same care as with your slr, you should not have any problems.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2002, 4:16 AM   #3

On my 602 I can select exposure and focus lock, also don't use highest resolution/biggest file size/post pic preview options, they take a long time to write and release the cam for the next shot.

The weather in England is good at the mo. Hurricanes and earthquakes are very rare!
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2002, 6:55 AM   #4

Gibsond3620 has addresed the question of shutter lag, but you should be aware that low temparatures can be an issue for most (if not all) electronic cameras in Scotland. I keep my CP4500 in the inside pocket of my jacket between shots and that seems to do the trick.

The only camera that I've found works at all temparatures is my 26 year old Rollei 35 (strictly manual).
checklg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2002, 2:19 PM   #5

You can find measurements of shutter lag and related stuff in the reviews at dpreview.com and imaging-resource.com, two places you should definitely spend some time at before shelling out the cash for a DSLR.
Sanpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2002, 8:24 PM   #6

Thanks folks. I'm a lot more confident that it's the right way to go now.
JimS is offline   Reply With Quote