Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Mar 4, 2005, 11:59 AM   #1

I'm brand new and have a Canon 20D and a Canon bag. The way I have my bag set up my camera sits on it's back (laying on the lcd screen) and I pick it up with the lens. I was wondering if this is a bad idea? It doesn't seem to be a problem but I'm a little worried about it. Thanks for any tips....
GHayes396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 4, 2005, 12:07 PM   #2

as long as its got something soft (non scratching)in contact with the screen i ts fine. my camerais setup in the bag for relatively quick access.

http://www.pbase.com/crusader/image/38884911/large

sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2005, 6:28 PM   #3

There is no problem picking it up by the lens, really thats the strongest point on the camera, the lens mount. However it's not a good idea to store your camera upside down on the lcd, due to the fact that any dust inside the camera can settle on the sensor. That info was in my D70 manual. also while changing lenes, keep the camera facing down for the same reason. Hope this helps.

Mark
marksr116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2005, 7:05 AM   #4

GHayes,

I think you need a bigger camera bag!

Some of the bags have velcro so you can custom fit the size of the enclosure to fit around your camera.

I bought a 20D and my camera fits a little tight in it's current bag. If anybody has a suggestion of a nice camera bag I can buy for a 20D, I'd be all ears.

We're always really "precious" about a new camera. Within a few years, you'll be whipping around your 20D like the light collector it really is.

-- Terry

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2005, 3:27 PM   #5

Thanks for the help! I hadn't thought about the dust settling into the sensor. The bag is plenty big enough and has the velcro dividers but I just set it up wrong. I liked the way it fit with it on the back and then got concerned that this might not be the best idea. The bag I have is a Canon bag and I can't find the model number or anything on it but it holds the 20D and an old point and shoot zoom lens and everything else that I might need. It's great and came from Best Buy and is black with chrome "hardware" if you wanted to check it out. It would hold at least one more SLR and have a little room to spare. Anyway....thanks for the help! I'll be reorganizing my bag today.
GHayes396 is offline   Reply With Quote