Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Mar 6, 2005, 11:10 AM   #1

Hello guys

wonder if you can help

I recently upgraded from my Finepix 1300 (yes it was that old)

to a Canon A85, excellent camera, however if I use settings other than auto especially where the shutter speed is altered, the camera clicks to take the picture but then either freezes with no image but power on, or powers off.

As far as I can tell this isnt battery related, the only way I can make the camera work again is by opening and closing the battery compartment.

Many thanks for any advice

Bo
BOFH1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 6, 2005, 2:17 PM   #2
Administrator

BOFH1971 wrote:
Quote:
...if I use settings other than auto especially where the shutter speed is altered, the camera clicks to take the picture but then either freezes with no image but power on, or powers off.
Are you sure it's not still taking the photo? For example, you've accidentlyset itto something like 10 seconds in manual exposure or shutter priority mode?

Are use using decent batteries (full charged high capacity NIMH batteries)?

Are you sure it's only when you alter shutter speeds? Have you formatted your compactflash card with the camera menus?

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2005, 5:22 PM   #3

JimC has some good suggestions. If those don't work, remember that your digicam has about as much in common with a computer as it does to a chemical camera. Try the simple computer fix when strange things happen: reboot. Take the batteries out and leave them out long enough for your camera to lose track of the date/time.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2005, 8:32 AM   #4

Thanks for the feedback guys

I have some brand-new UNIROSS (GREEN ONES) NIMH batteries, the same type I used in my Fuji Finepix 1300 (admittedly thats an old camera)

I havent tried dont the long switch off with no batteries yet, will do that one tonight.

I did some further testing.

the camera ALWAYS seems to work fine with AUTO mode.

when I switch to landscape mode and it disables flash, it locks up.

there are a few settings on the dial at the top that cause it to fall over.

I was wondering if the batteries were giviing a low power yield and that the power drain was greater when more exposure was needed (I have left the camera for over a minute to finish processing the picture btw.) however the DC input is only 4.8v which means 6v worth of battery should be plenty.

I will try some new extra power batteries such as the duracell extra ones.

The CF card has been formatted by the camera during tests too, I have also used a PEAK 512mb High Speed CF card, which I intend to use as the main card.

Again many thanks

I will post my test results, once done.

Old Mar 24, 2005, 7:04 PM   #5

Hello again everyone,

ok here is the tale of my A85,

I contacted Canon, who agreed that it could be a fault on the camera

the camera returned with the following repairs done.

Replaced Circuit, Cleaned/Fully Checked, the repair work is electr. bus system.

to me thats the mainboard, but I am only knowlegeable with PC's not digicameras.

Now I have it back its a little better, however when taking night shots and altering the shutter speed, it still hangs, sometimes a night shot works.

I am now moving my attention to my rechargeable batteries, they are only 1300mAh

my question is this, even though shot yield is lower which would be acceptable in the short term, could the low mAh be responsible for the camera failing to complete a shot, even after a full charge?

I intend anyway to buy some 2300 or 2500mAh batteries, but obvioulsy dont want to waste money just yet, just in case the camera is still no good.

Has anyone else with an Canon A85 experienced this?

Many thanks for all your help, its nice to see that people can still come up with constructive answers (unlike computing.net but thats for different problems )

BOFH

Old Mar 24, 2005, 8:49 PM   #6
Administrator

I'll ask the same question I asked thefirst time....

Are you sure it's not still taking the photo? ;-)

From the way you're describing it's behavior, this is what I'd expect if it was trying to expose for a longer period of time (since you mentionedtaking photos at night with the flash off, etc.).

How long are you waiting (before assuming that it "just hangs")?

Forlonger exposures, the camera will also usedark frame subtraction noise reduction system. After taking a photo, it will then take a dark frame image (shutter closed) for the same exposure length. It then subtracts out any hot pixels found in the dark frame exposure from the actual exposure (by replacing them with values from adjacent pixels).

I don't know how long this model will attempt to expose an image at night if you don't set a specific shutter speed (or if you are setting a shutter speed, are you sure you're setting it correctly?).You'll need to test it to see how it normally behaves using the modes you're trying.

If you're sure it's actually frozen (i.e., you're waitingover 30 seconds to make sure it's not taking a 15 second real exposure +another 15 seconds for a dark frame exposure), then I'd suspect things like the CompactFlash card or the Batteries.

Old Mar 24, 2005, 11:31 PM   #7

BOFH1971 wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback guys
*snip* however the DC input is only 4.8v which means 6v worth of battery should be plenty.
*snip*
Please do answer JimC's question. In the past, I forgot that I had left my camera (not a A85 though) in a 8 second exposure mode (manual setting), and I thought that something was wrong, until I thought about it...and then realised what had happened.

But one thing that I have to ask is.....what do you mean by 'DC input is only 4.8 V which means 6 V worth of battery should be plenty'?

The above sounds as if you've been supplying your camera with a DC power supply of incorrect voltage. If that's the case, then I'm wondering if you may have done some damage to your camera. Also, I checked the ACK-600 AC adapter for the A85....and its DC output voltage is 4.3 volts (not 4.8 V).
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2005, 6:43 AM   #8
Administrator

NiMH AA Batteries are rated at 1.2 Volts. So, 4 x 1.2 = 4.8 volts

But, you can't always go by the voltage output of the A/C Adapter(sometimes the voltage is different than supplied by the batteries, since the camera could be converting voltage internally). So, using the wrong adapter could damage the caemra.

I'd try to make sure that the camera isn't still taking the photo when you think it's locking up.

If you're sure it's really locked up, then I'd try different batteries or Compactflash card.BTW, I've never heard of a "Peak" brand card.
Old Mar 25, 2005, 7:08 AM   #9

Thanks for clearing that up JimC. I was originally under the impression that he was talking about an external DC supply, and didn't realise he was talking about the difference in nominal voltages for alkaline and NiMH AA batteries.
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2005, 7:15 AM   #10
Administrator

I also wouldn't assume that Alkalines will work properly (although Canon models do seem to work better than some other models with Alkalines). They are just not reliable in most models.

Note what Steve has to say on his NiMH Batteries Page

Quote:
The first thing a new digicam owner quickly realizes is that those AA alkaline batteries included with their camera are next to worthless. I've gotten many emails from folks who wondered if their cameras were defective because they only got 20 or so shots before the batteries crapped out.

Today's digital cameras are extremely high-drain devices. The batteries must power a color LCD, a motorized zoom lens, an autofocus system, the multi-megapixel imager and the associated processing hardware.
The answer is simple ... use high power NiMH or Li-ion rechargeable batteries.