Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Mar 10, 2005, 10:01 AM   #1

I have a 20D and know that sooner or later there is going to come a time when I need to clean the sensor. I read in my owners manual and see how to do it but I'm still very nervous about it. I bought an extended warranty and get one free cleaning a year for 5 years but (if I'm not wrong) will have to send it to an authorized Canon service center. That means packing it up and sending it to NY from GA and being without it for who knows how long...not what I was hoping for. If this is what I need to do then that's fine but I was hoping to get some feed back about this so that maybe I won't have to trust it to the postal service and be without it for a while. Not to mention the lost sleep from worry about it! Anyway, thanks for any feed back!

Grady
GHayes396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 11, 2005, 11:36 PM   #2

Check with your local "good" camera shops. They may have a repair/maintenance center that could do the cleaning. Of course you will want to make sure they provide some sort of assurance they won't mess up your camera.
RyanH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2005, 7:53 PM   #3

I have cleaned my Nikons many, many times with a Giottos blower, and eclipse solution and pec pads all with success... it is easy if you take your time and use the right tools good luck... Dale
cowboy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2005, 1:03 AM   #4

GHayes396 wrote:
Quote:
I have a 20D and know that sooner or later there is going to come a time when I need to clean the sensor. I read in my owners manual and see how to do it but I'm still very nervous about it. I bought an extended warranty and get one free cleaning a year for 5 years but (if I'm not wrong) will have to send it to an authorized Canon service center. That means packing it up and sending it to NY from GA and being without it for who knows how long...not what I was hoping for. If this is what I need to do then that's fine but I was hoping to get some feed back about this so that maybe I won't have to trust it to the postal service and be without it for a while. Not to mention the lost sleep from worry about it! Anyway, thanks for any feed back!

Grady
Hi Grady:

How I identify! I was all set to spring $1K US for the new Canon 350XT. Then I started reading about "chamber-cleaning" and "micro-brushes", &c, &c. Sheesh!

I've spent a lifetime with blowers and brushes. Enough, I say! Nikon 8800(sealed, no interchangeable lenses, no camera-bag) here I come!:G

FWIW,

F2Guy
F2Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2005, 5:39 AM   #5

Grady,

I have a 20D that was delivered (new) in a frankly shocking state (see here)

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=37

The shop agreed that it was not in a good state and agreed to have it repaired / replaced under warranty. However, as it was an import it would have probably have had to go back to Hong Kong (long time w/o a camera). They suggested I give cleaning a go.

Bought the sensor brush from http://www.visibledust.com and the result has been pretty impressive. After one "sweep" all but three of the specks have been removed (I reckon that a further cleaning session will take care of these in due course). I should really get around to taking an 'after' shot but have been too busy taking photos to worry about this :-)

From what I've seen so far Sensor Brush gets my vote.
PhotoEcosse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2005, 7:25 AM   #6
kex

F2Guy wrote:
Quote:
GHayes396 wrote:

How I identify! I was all set to spring $1K US for the new Canon 350XT. Then I started reading about "chamber-cleaning" and "micro-brushes", &c, &c. Sheesh!

I've spent a lifetime with blowers and brushes. Enough, I say! Nikon 8800(sealed, no interchangeable lenses, no camera-bag) here I come!:G

FWIW,

F2Guy
Wow. And that keeps you from buying a dSLR?
kex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2005, 1:39 PM   #7
Administrator

See info just posted on News page:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/diginews.html#dslrclean

steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2005, 2:04 PM   #8

Beautiful! Thanks a lot. That sounds like the route that I'll take when I get some dust. I dread it but know it's coming!

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Grady
GHayes396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2005, 4:59 PM   #9
kex

steve wrote:
Quote:
See info just posted on News page:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/diginews.html#dslrclean

looks like a great product. have you already tried them out steve?
I think I'd rather buy these sticks from IMS than using liquids or anything like that if it really works.
kex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2005, 3:28 AM   #10

Quote:
looks like a great product. have you already tried them out steve? I think I'd rather buy these sticks from IMS than using liquids or anything like that if it really works.
I agree let us know!
Geeek204 is offline   Reply With Quote