Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Nov 30, 2002, 8:52 PM   #1

Default I use an XD card...where do I get a card reader and ......

I recently purchased the Fuji 3800, and love it. It uses the xd picture card memory card. I would like to get a card reader as not to put wear on the camera, but I don't see one that accepts the xd card. Help!!!! I also was looking at photo printers that accept memory cards, and none that I saw accepted the xd card. Have I made a mistake in buying the 3800????

thanks, Tina
imzaxmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 30, 2002, 10:04 PM   #2

http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4986
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2002, 8:56 AM   #3

Default Re: I use an XD card...where do I get a card reader and ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by imzaxmom
Have I made a mistake in buying the 3800????
No, IMO the XD card is very future proof. The reason you're having difficulty in finding card readers is simply becuase it's such a new format. It's for the same reason that you can currently only get the actual cards up to a 128MB capacity, where they can actually support up to 8GB!!!

Currently only the newest Olympus and Fuji cameras support the cards so as far as 3rd party reader manufatures are concerned there is no hurry to develop a reader at the moment. Within a few months though, I'm sure more and more readers will start popping up as more cameras take on the format.

I know that Olympus sell an XD card reader and I believe they also make a Compact Flash adaptor for XD cards, which you could use for printers etc, howver these will obviously be expensive becuase of the brand name.
Eddie J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2002, 8:48 AM   #4

What is a card reader?? i have the same camera.
Alfisti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2002, 10:20 AM   #5

It's basically just a removable drive that plugs (usually via USB) into your PC. It accepts the memery cards that your camera uses - this offers three major benifits.
  • It saves draining your camera's batteries when transfering photos to your PC.
  • It is often more convenitent to keep a card reader on your desk than messing around with a cable to your camera.
  • Most readers are hot-swappable now, meaning that you can also use them a portable hard drive for easy transfer of files between comuters too.
If you like, just think of them as a floppy disk drive that takes digital media cards instead of 3" floppies.
Eddie J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2002, 12:49 PM   #6

Excellent .. i just leave the cable in the PC and attach it to the camera ... easier that way.

While i have your attention ..... is there any way to print a 4x6 photo without cropping the picture?????
Old Dec 3, 2002, 1:11 PM   #7

Personally, I would ahve stayed away from XD. Why does there need to be yet another media type?? Compact Flash is much more widely used. And cheaper too. Plus, it is based on PCMCIA, so you can get a PCMCIA adapter for a notebook for very little money.
jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2002, 2:47 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmeeker
Personally, I would ahve stayed away from XD. Why does there need to be yet another media type?? Compact Flash is much more widely used. And cheaper too. Plus, it is based on PCMCIA, so you can get a PCMCIA adapter for a notebook for very little money.
I knwo what you mean .. i ten sto wish there was just one memory media too .. but the XD is the best ... so damn small and up to 2GB or something.
Old Dec 3, 2002, 3:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmeeker
I knwo what you mean .. i ten sto wish there was just one memory media too .. but the XD is the best ... so damn small and up to 2GB or something.
Compact Flash is at 1.0 GB right now. I don't see why they can't get bigger either.
jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2002, 7:14 PM   #10

Circuit City were I shop has the cardreaders in stock. $49.95. Also has the adapter to plug pcima (not sure of spelling) slot
genekend is offline   Reply With Quote