Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Mar 11, 2005, 1:50 PM   #1

I have had my new Canon D20 for a couple of weeks and have three lenses the kit one 18-55,sigma 55-200 F4-5.6 and the Canon EF75-300 4-5.6 lll USM, i have had some super pictures but when i am taking sport or action shots,(my prefered photography)im getting 90% blurred, i am using TV mode or sport and my shutter speed is never any less than 1/250 - 1/500 and then at times the apeture will constantly flash, am i missing something or have i just got wobble syndrome! Help!
barkerlass is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 11, 2005, 2:59 PM   #2

The aperture flashing it s problem, as your have reached the end of you lenses capability and still need more light. Try increasing the ISO to 1600 or 3200.

Those are slow shutter speeds for handheld action shots, especially if you are new to this and have not got your technique down yet. Think of it as shooting a rifle, steady yourself, breath control, and gently squeeze the shutter don't jab it or press it hard. Hand held with a longish lens takes a bit of getting used to.

Peter.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2005, 3:05 PM   #3

Thank you loads for that! i will try again tomorrow, it all seems common sense when you explain it like that! but when out in the field everything goes blank! is there a better lense (reasonable budget) or is it just down to what you have told me?
Old Mar 11, 2005, 3:31 PM   #4

The "better lense (reasonable budget)" restriction puts a crimp in things, as faster lenses tend to be expensive.

Common replacements are the Sigma 70-200 F2.8 and Sigma 120-300 F2.8 both good fast lenses butIMHO: neithermeet's the reasonable budgetcriteria.

Peter.
Old Mar 11, 2005, 3:50 PM   #5

The saying "you get what you pay for" applies here i think! so i might have to save the pennies and invest. Thanks so much for your help and advise.
Old Mar 11, 2005, 4:45 PM   #6

PeterP wrote:
Quote:
The "better lense (reasonable budget)" restriction puts a crimp in things, as faster lenses tend to be expensive.

Common replacements are the Sigma 70-200 F2.8 and Sigma 120-300 F2.8 both good fast lenses but IMHO: neither meet's the reasonable budget criteria.

Peter.
good thing there is nothing reasonable about me! :blah:
Mr_Saginaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2005, 5:21 PM   #7

Went out today and put what you told me to do to practice, turned ISO up to 3000 and remembered what you said about the rifle!! (good job im not game hunting) and results were much much better (been even better without the novice behind the wheel) here is a picture that i took today out with the dogs. Many thanks. Hope it comes out ok.
Attached Images

Old Mar 13, 2005, 1:56 PM   #8

That seems to be working .

Peter.