Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Mar 11, 2005, 11:19 PM   #1

I have purchased a digital camera, and it is coming in the mail. The user manual says that the SD card must be formatted by the camera itself. The problem is I use my 512 card on my Palm (PDA) to store documents and music and stuff like that.

So, if I format the card, will it become unusable by my Palm? Or, if I format the card, can I then put everything back onto it from my Palm?

I mean, do digital cameras not like it when the card is not "PURE" ?

Thanks
Kujila is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 11, 2005, 11:33 PM   #2

You should be alright. If your Palm acts like a PC, there should be no problem. Most people format their cards in camera, yet copy/view/move the pics with a PC/Mac.

Now you must realize that if you format the card, you will lose all data. Including data you put on there with your Palm.

You will see after you format the card that your camera will create its own directory structure. Most Canon's use the following: <Card>\DCIM\###Canon.

If you put other documents and files outside of the cameras folder, you should be alright. However, you will find that it won't be hard to fill up 512MB with pics.
RyanH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2005, 11:34 PM   #3

I have a Palm Tungsten C and moved my formatted SD card from my FZ10 to the Palm when I got a faster card for the Panasonic. It is working just fine. I think you might be able to save a tiny amount of space by formatting the card through the camera from the computer rather than use the camera formatting. Just right click on the drive that is the camera and select "Format". I didn't do that. If the camera folder is taking any space it is minimal and the Palm is just ignoring it. Either format should wipe out everything from your Palm.

What you can't do is view the pictures taken with the camera directly on the Palm without taking them through a conversion program.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2005, 1:22 AM   #4

Alright, thanks to both of you... when my camera arrives I shall try this out
Old Mar 14, 2005, 7:01 AM   #5

I've used a SD card with my Tungsten E and DiMage Z1. You won't have to reformat in the camera--the camera will create a folder (usually) called /DCIM if it isn't already there, and within that folder it will create its own subfolder. The Palm Photos app creates a subfolder called /Palm Photos within /DCIM, and that app will look in all subfolders of /DCIM. The camera, meanwhile, will only look into and write to its own subfolder.
Tom LaPrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2005, 8:23 PM   #6

Yeah, thanks @ all

The photos on the card taken with the Zire share the DCIM directory with the FlatFoto 2... there wasn't even a need to format the card again, just plugged it in and it went alright.

Thanks again to all that replied! :G
Old Mar 16, 2005, 8:42 AM   #7

I use my SD cards for temporary data storage aside from the camera. Along with a small USB adapter I use them often as pen drives to transfer documents and other stuff between computers.

I always format in the camera if ever needed and always store non-picture files outside the DCIM folder used by the camera.

But again, this is for moving things from one place to another, not as permanent data storage. When not in use the cards are empty and have one inserted in the camera at all times and the other in the camera bag.
luisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2005, 11:04 AM   #8

I recently got my daughter a small Nikon to carry when she didn't want to take her large camera. She picked up a 256Mb SD card at Office Depot for $20 after rebate. There are deals like that all the time, but that one is good through Saturday. If you have enough room on the 512Mb card to carry everything you need for the Palm and still have enough space left over to fully use the camera, then a 256Mb card will free you of all the hassle. My Palm doesn't work any faster from the card going from standard SD to fast SD. You don't need firebreathing speed for a Palm.

The only reason I have any experience with transferring a card is that I wanted a faster card for the camera and permanently transferred the slower card to the Palm. I was hoping to find a utility to let me see the pictures directly from the card after taking them from the camera, but that doesn't seem to be possible unless someone knows of a utility that will do that. Other than that I see no reason to be transferring a single card between the camera and Palm – not for 20 bucks.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote