Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Mar 18, 2005, 6:33 PM   #11

yah...but I think what he is trying to say is that he gets bright and dark effects when taking normal photos....under normal conditions.
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2005, 2:08 AM   #12

Thanks All for your comments. Really helpful.

Kenny, the pictures i took "before" was brighter (as seen on the lcd view). But the pictures seem to be slightly darker after the "sun shots".

I am taking more pictures in "automatic" settings,like you said..to test. (yet to transfer into the pc) the pictures look alright in the LCD though...

the manual was more concerned about the human eye towards the sun than the CCD. i tried looking through cuz i got worried, about the dark pics.

Kenny_Leong wrote:
Quote:
Were the pictures ok before you took photos of the sun? That is, you had good exposure (brightness etc) originally. But now, every photo that you take (even in good lighting conditions) seems to have a problem?

It's 'possible' that the camera may have been damaged by the sun....but then again, it could have failed for some other reason not related to the sun. But you should do more tests with it over time. That is, take pictures in good lighting conditions on 'Automatic' setting. If the pictures are no good, then something's got to be wrong.

Anyhow, sometimes it's important to read the camera's instruction guide a bit before using the camera, because I think the instructions will usually recommend not to point the camera directly at the sun.
trademarxz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2005, 2:44 AM   #13

I so want to believe,that all your comments "that is does not hurt the ccd/camera" are true!
And I can just blame the dark pictures to my inexperience in taking photograps...

Err i feel that the pictures are still kinda ok..and i can live with it..

I learnt a lot from all of you.

I am going to use the camera as it is..and not going to send it in for any service.. i dont want to make a small problem much bigger.(probably have trouble explaining to the service dude)

Thank you People. You're a great lot!

Cheers,
Mark
trademarxz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2005, 1:52 AM   #14

Quote:
...the sun isn't all that bright.
What planet do you live on? Oh, I see. Yea, the sun isn't very bright in OHIO! :-)

The sun's light hits Earth with the equivalent power of over 100 Trillion horsepower per second. I can't look at it so it must be pretty dim in Ohio.

Shooting the sun without filters will eventually bleach out the ccd's color filtering layers. (They're ink) The older ccd's would go up in smoke immediately so it can't be very good for even the new ones.

CCWKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2005, 7:17 PM   #15

what about pointing a red or green laser light into the lens of the camera? Would that be the same thing?

erkada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2005, 8:19 AM   #16

erkada wrote:
Quote:
what about pointing a red or green laser light into the lens of the camera? Would that be the same thing?
Probably not...well, not according to this person..

http://michel.thoby.free.fr/Laserprocess.html
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2005, 1:07 PM   #17

Today I gave my digital camera Samsung Digimax A5 to my friends at a picnic and left them unsupervised and also forgot to tell them not to point the camera directly into the sun. Told them later but to late coz somebody already took a picture of the sun.

I'm not saing that people should be born with this knowledge of not pointing a camerea directly into the sun but still..... . Enyway heres the picture of the sun(tell me your opinion on how badly in could hare afected the camera).I took some photos ofterwards to see if everything was allright and i get the feeling(I hope that I'm just paranoic) that there's a grainy efect in the pictures, don't really know coz i'm kinda new in the world of digital photography but I know this much: Respect the instructions of the manual!(I hope they'r jus bluffing ).
Attached Images

CRaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2005, 1:15 PM   #18

Here's a pic made after the sun shot
Attached Images

Old May 2, 2005, 1:17 PM   #19

Do you notice anithing out of place???

And here's one made before.
Attached Images

Old May 2, 2005, 1:19 PM   #20

P.S.: When I arived home I noticed a smudge on the lens that might have afected the picture quality but I'd like to know your professional opinion.