Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Dec 3, 2002, 6:25 AM   #1
Stu

Default Image size

I'm pretty new to digi phtography ,so please bear with me!,
I have a Minolta s404 which is a 4 megapix camera , most of the pics I take I like to print out at approx 7 x 5 in. ( handy for showing to family and friends etc. ) but if I use the full 4 megapix setting obvoiusly I get a huge image that I have to resize downwards, my question is ... is it better to do it as described or would I be better taking the pictures at a smaller image size to start with so that they wouldn't need resizing?
TIA

Stu
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 3, 2002, 7:09 AM   #2

A good basic rule is to shoot at the highest resolution and lowest JPEG compression (largest file size) unless you have a good reason to do otherwise.
Quote:
"... so that they wouldn't need resizing"
Why are you resizing them? If you have more pixels than your printer can handle, the printer software will deal with that. I have heard of some printers producing worse images if fed too much resolution, but I think that isn't the norm and isn't much worse when it does happen.

Likely what you want to do is change the dpi without resampling, e.g., without changing the number of pixels in the image. If you are having problems printing, you should take a look at QImage. Then you just specify the output size and let the QImage deal with the rest of it. An excellent printing program plus a good handfull of batch utilities.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2002, 10:03 AM   #3

I do all my printing via MS PowerPoint. Why? well because it is completely WYSIWYG as per the screen. The print quality is unaltered and when you have finished you can also save the pics or presentation as a PP file for future retrieval.

When you insert the image it is massive of course. Just right click and size accordingly or drag and drop from the corners of the image.

All too often I waste paper (expensive glossy) because what I see on the screen isn't what prints out (size wise). I've not set something quite right. My fault sure but I make mistakes. With PP no mistakes and that's why I like and use it.
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2002, 1:54 PM   #4
Stu

cheers guys , thanx very much for ur advice

Stu
Old Dec 3, 2002, 2:29 PM   #5

Stu

I would recommend shooting at a high resolution jpg as Bill Drew has suggested. I also recommending storing the original pics in a folder and then copy the pics to a working folder. I have on more than one occassion destroyed a picture when editing.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2002, 3:16 PM   #6

I think the shoot at the top resolution and lowest compression (i.e. the highest quality compression) is the ideal way to go, especially if you don't know what all you'll do with the image.

You can *always* re-size the image to make it smaller (both res. and file size) for web an email usage. Yet, you will still have a good image for printing. The drawback is it takes more space on the memory card, especially with a 4 MP camera. You can get around this with more/bigger memory and even frequent off-loading of pics to a computer.

However, if you knew that the pics you were taking were only going to the web or email, and you needed to take a bunch of them on one card, stepping down the resoltion would be OK.
jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2002, 4:30 PM   #7

......."I do all my printing via MS PowerPoint. Why? well because it is completely WYSIWYG as per the screen."

The best WYSIWIG package I've found is QImage pro - 'cos it allows you to select a colour profile for both your monitor AND output device (printer/projector/lab printer)!
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2002, 5:51 AM   #8
Stu

thanx again guys for ur advice , much appreciated
cheers

Stu