Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Dec 5, 2002, 7:55 PM   #1

Default Minolta DiMage 7hi, Nikon CP5700 or higher

I need a camera to take shots of my grandchildren in action (boy are they fast) and also NASCAR and sprint car races. Would one of these cameras work for high speed action or should I plan on saving up for a pro camera?
bikecop838 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 5, 2002, 9:59 PM   #2

8) I love my 5700, but I don't know how the electronic viewfinder would be for fast action. I don't do fast action, but I have seen posts suggesting this could be a problem.
nochance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2002, 10:06 AM   #3

I also have a CP5700 - but for your use I would highly recommend the new Minolta Dimage 7hi, which has a manual zoom and focus control. You will need this capturing you grandkids. The 7hi also autofocus much better and faster in dim light than my coolpix. I've tried it - and it's true.

However it my opinion that the CP5700 take better colorized photos than the 7hi. There's some other advantages also, but your use it's not important.
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2002, 11:18 AM   #4
NHL

I agree with everyone here, but the D7i/Hi does have a 'Vivid' mode where the colors are more saturated:
http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...600&highlight=

But IMHO most of the experienced D7hi users will rather opted for the AdobeRGB mode where the color is really flat on an sRGB screen (since it's mapped to a wider color space) but offer more latitude in post processing... If Photoshop is not your forte, you'll getter quicker result with less fuss with the 5700 or even the F717 for sure!

For NASCAR... I think you really need a d_SLR of some sort :lol:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2002, 11:46 AM   #5

NHL.

It's my opinion that Nikon still delivers the most natural colors - including skincolors, which could be important here. You know...all this talk about saturation doesn't have to mean anything. If the photos colors is not for it - it wont matter pushing the saturation.

As you prob. noticed I use Photoshop a lot. I think no matter what camera you buy today - you need to work in an editor to get the best/desired results. It shouldn't be a parameter to get the high priced photoshop - choosen a digicam in this pricelevel.

Actually I will say it a little bit rough: " The CP5700 is not an good indoor digicam , maybe neither the 7hi - but it's much better"
Old Dec 6, 2002, 11:46 AM   #6

BTW where did your avatar go ?
Old Dec 6, 2002, 12:25 PM   #7

I donít know about the D7Hi, but with the D7i, Autofocus is not the best choice for rapid action shots because of the (new) algorithm that freeze the display for a fraction of second ( this change was since D7 v2 firmware upgrade) , could be annoying if you are used to a real SLR viewfinder.
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2002, 12:36 PM   #8

Kcan

What I mean is that the 7hi actually can focus in more dim light than my CP5700. That good taking indoor photos...

Some weeks ago I made my own little focustest in dim light . No science there, but the 7hi focused a lot better than my 7hi.

Hate to say it.
Old Dec 6, 2002, 1:05 PM   #9
NHL

Klaus

I don't disagree with you on the color. I just want to point the fact that the D7's has three different color modes: AdobeRGB, Natural sRGB, and Vivid sRGB varying from totally flat to highly saturated (BTW it can also embed the .icc profile as well). It's up to the user to experiment, but Photoshop is somewhat a must for the D7's whereas it's more optional on the 5700 or F717. The D7's is no point and shoot and definetly not a beginner's camera, especially when it comes to the numerous color filters setting that this camera is capable of (think about it, 11 color filters alone in Black & White)!

I don't know what happen to my Avatar, and can't seems to correct my profile either. It's just gone all of a sudden. Must be the 'Posting freak' syndrom...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2002, 1:41 PM   #10

NHL

11 Colorfilters in Black and White ? Do you mean filters in the "ordinary" sense ? Which filters ? How does that works...
What about colorfilters. ?
Are they all ICl profiles ?

Just curious!