Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Dec 6, 2002, 10:37 PM   #1

Default Need help printing --too grainy! (Nikon 775)

I 'm a beginner. I started out with a Jam Cam (ages 3 on up) and graduated to my new Nikon 775 --I saved for a year to buy it.

My HP 950 deskjet printer works great, and when I print out the "sample" photo that was included with the HP printer, it is soooo nice and looks like a photo taken at 100 ASA with a reg camera!

Anyway, I've been trying to get my digital photos to print out as nicely, but they come out grainy. I use Adobe Photoshop 5.5 to tweak the photos before printing (I'm new at this too!).

I use premium glossy printer paper, but it seems I can see the pixels!

With the combination of using my Nikon, a good HP printer, Adobe Photoshop, and premium glossy paper, the results should be awesome, but they are not.

How do I get my digital pix to come out looking more like a densely grained photo (i.e. you don't see the graininess!)?

Any help would be appreciated. Remember, sometimes I don't really know enough to know what I'm talking about!!

Many thanks!
Chrissy
Chris91941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 7, 2002, 12:36 AM   #2

Default Re: Need help printing --too grainy! (Nikon 775)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris91941
I 'm a beginner. I started out with a Jam Cam (ages 3 on up)
You are funny! :lol:
So you got much more experience years then most of us :mrgreen:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris91941
With the combination of using my Nikon, a good HP printer, Adobe Photoshop, and premium glossy paper, the results should be awesome, but they are not.

How do I get my digital pix to come out looking more like a densely grained photo (i.e. you don't see the graininess!)?
I think I see what you mean, try neatimage.com, download the free version, itís good enough, I bet you will be amazed . Itís seems a bit complex to start with, but after some try, itís very easy to use.
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2002, 3:47 AM   #3

I see your problem. Its an HP printer. What you need is an epson photo printer.

Actually what you need to make sure of is that you are using HP premium gloss paper then you need to make sure you set the resolution to the max when you print. selecting paper and setting everything maxed quality. You should get decent results. You wil still get grain because that HP printer is a 4 color printer. with a 5 picoliter drop on the color and 34 on the black.
Gregersonsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2002, 6:04 AM   #4

From the drop down file menu choose print, when the print window opens, click on the properties button, from the properties button click the arrow for paper and choose HP Photo paper. This action should set your print mode to best, if not click on best for print quality. The HP 950 uses the same image as my HP 970 and I receive excellent photo prints. Good luck
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2002, 3:26 PM   #5

Default Thanks everyone!

I usually make sure I've selected Best and HP Premium Glossy paper and High Resolution, but maybe I dropped the ball on the pics I'm trying to print.

Thanks for all the advice!
Chrissy
Chris91941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2002, 2:30 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibsonpd3620
From the drop down file menu choose print, when the print window opens, click on the properties button, from the properties button click the arrow for paper and choose HP Photo paper. This action should set your print mode to best, if not click on best for print quality. The HP 950 uses the same image as my HP 970 and I receive excellent photo prints. Good luck
Actually I hate to be a prick. But the psc 925 comes with the 15 and the 78d cardtridges. The 970 comes with the 45a and the 78d. But using the color they should be identical.
Old Dec 8, 2002, 7:34 AM   #7

Gregersonsalvage

He said he had the HP950 and the cartridges are the same as the 950. The major difference between the 970 and the 950 is that the 970 came with the duplexer unit.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2002, 11:15 AM   #8

Here's a tip, get them printed at a Kodak or whatever. Why people bother fiddling around and paying for expensive paper to get average results i will never know.
Alfisti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2002, 3:18 PM   #9

If you get good results on the sample pictures and poor results from your camera, the problem is with the camera. I would suspect you need to work on the settings you're using when taking pictures. Always start with the highest available resolution and minimum compression.

If you have a friend with a good color printer and/or a digital camera, try swapping pictures and printer use.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2002, 12:11 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibsonpd3620
Gregersonsalvage

He said he had the HP950 and the cartridges are the same as the 950. The major difference between the 970 and the 950 is that the 970 came with the duplexer unit.
Alright I know I should'nt do this but :P . The psc 950 that he is talking about actually the major difference is that it is a multifunction unit that copy scans and prints via a flatbed scanner located on the top . But at the same time it also has the card reader on it for your digital camera cards. It takes mem stick smartmedia and compact flash maybe sd but can't remember. You can buy the duplex tray seperately for about 80 bucks from http://www.HP.com