Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Apr 3, 2005, 12:12 AM   #1

well im a 15 yr old novice photographer and have been told by many professional photographers that i have an eye. so im trying everything to get better. i have a site and lots of pictures so if anyone can give me some tips that would be great. thanks

Ty http://www.spartusseven.com/aprilpics.html
spartusseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 3, 2005, 4:11 AM   #2

Is there a reason you haven'tdownsized the files for the web? I'm sure people would like to offer tips, but those of us with dialup aren't going to sit around and wait for the page to load.
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2005, 5:27 PM   #3

Ok first of all everyone with 56k should really think about saving up to buy dsl. but for those who still cant i did take the time to make my sites pictures "56k'able" so give me tips!
Old Apr 3, 2005, 7:01 PM   #4

You should make the images as small as posible, I don't know how much data transfer you are allowed, but if you keep your images large, they will eat up your data transfer, and you will have to upgrade your hosting plan.

Brad
bradg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2005, 3:37 PM   #5

spartusseven wrote:
Quote:
have been told by many professional photographers that i have an eye.
With respect spartusseven, while I am sure youwill get some great tips here, could your many professional photographer acquaintances not give you some ?

Quote:
Ok first of all everyone with 56k should really think about saving up to buy dsl.
Not a very nice attitude. Some may not be in broadband enabled areas, that still happens. Some may not be able to justify the expense and don't need ridiculing. Some may be happy with dial up, it's a choice. So if you would like help and advice, ease up, then you will be very welcome.

Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2005, 10:36 PM   #6

I checked out your site ,nice shots of birds and flowers.
What brand of camara do you use ?
PAPA RAGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2005, 4:00 PM   #7

He's using a Mintola DiMage Z1 (I checked the Exif data ).
MrPogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2005, 10:49 AM   #8

PAPA RAGE wrote:
Quote:
I checked out your site ,nice shots of birds and flowers.
What brand of camara do you use ?

remember its 95% photographers eye and 5% gear that alloss it to come to reality.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2005, 6:30 PM   #9

i apologise if any feelings were hurt i didn't mean to i guess my age and personality does conflict with others i will most defintely take your point into consideration. and i have a question is it wrong to seek more help when i get just a little from a photographer at an art fair that is trying to pay attention to her customers. she had some great tips but i thougt i might find more here. ive been here for a week and everyone seems to be against me and my hobby it seems that all photographers are to themselves? i dont know im just a kid so i guess ill take my business elsewhere if im not accepted here. farewell if i do decide to leave. Ty

PS thanks to the people who did offer me tips and i hope that
God will bless you.

P.S. GOD BLESS EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Apr 8, 2005, 3:03 AM   #10

Spartus,
Quote:
everyone seems to be against me and my hobby

Do please try and grow up. This makes you sound like a whining 12 year old not a young adult looking for constructive help with their photographs.

However, I will offer some comments which I hope you will find useful.

Picture 1 (bird on a TV aerial) - To me the bird looks out of focus and this is distracting to the shot. You need to pay attention to where your camera is focusing (or switch to manual focus if you have the facility). The sky is nicely exposed but the this has left the bird underexposed (but not quite enough for it to be a true silhouette). You might want to try underexposing a touch to get the contrast between bird and background.

Picture 0065 (sunset) - Did you take this one from a moving vehicle? The reason I ask is because whilst it looks good at a small size, when you look at it at 100% it all seems a tad blurred. The sunset is very dramatic but for me the sun itself has burnt out to absolute white. I know from experience that this can happen all too easily and that I now normally underexpose by 1 and 2 stops these type of shots to see what comes out best. I do wish that you had taken the trouble to cross the road so that the rather intrusive white lines and the telegraph poles weren't in the shot. I find that the latter cut the frame in half and make the composition rather disjointed.

Flower macro shots - you seem better at these than the landscape ones mentioned above. Generally you have got the focus on the blooms right and the exposure as well. Good use of a large aperture to throw the background out of focus as well. However, you might want to consider having a look at your composition a wee bit. Pict 0052 has the top of another bloom just creeping into the bottom of the frame (to me it would have been much better if it had not been there). Pict 0064 has a nice combination of pink / red blooms but there is a white "thing"bottom right of the frame that my eye just keeps on drifting towards. It might have been better if you had changed you angle of viewing or if this was another bloom just snipped it off so that it didn't appear.

My tips (from what I have seen here) would be....

Look through the viewfinder, long and hard, to see the photograph the camera is going to actually take and not the one your eye is seeing before you press the shutter (you whipper snappers with digicams don't know what it was like in the days of old when each shot on a roll of flim cost ya!:-)) This will help your composition and help eliminate distracting objects creeping into the shot.

Try bracketing exposures to see the difference under / over exposure makes to your shots. This will help you decide what to use in tricky situations such as the sunset shot.

Keep on taking pictures as this is the only way to get better.

HTH.

PhotoEcosse is offline   Reply With Quote