Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Apr 3, 2005, 4:28 PM   #1

Would a Quantaray QAF 6600 bounce flash, work on my Rebel digital EOS SLR 6.3 MP or cause any damage to my slr? Also would a Quantary lense 100-300 and a Canon 28-70 work on my slr? Would all three items cause any damage to my slr?
Imacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 3, 2005, 10:14 PM   #2

If the Quantary 100-300 and the Canon 28-70 use the EOS lens mount, then it should be fine. It's also called the EF lens mount. The older lens mount is, I believe, called the FD lens mount and those lenses will not work.

Assuming you didn't try to force the lens then no damange should occure if they aren't compatable. The lens just won't fit.

The Flash is another matter. It is possible that you could damage the camera by putting an incompatable flash on the camera. I couldn't tell you if that flash worked, but I would make very sure before you try it out.

The first obvious question is if it is make for a Canon Camera.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2005, 11:45 PM   #3

eric s wrote:
Quote:
The older lens mount is, I believe, called the FD lens mount and those lenses will not work.

Eric
Isn't there a FD to EF converter that will allow you to use the lens in manual only? If not just tell me to shut up and go back to my corner.:blah:
GoCubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2005, 2:56 PM   #4

I believe there is such a converter, but how well does it work?

Do all the metering modes work? Do the older lenses return distance information so that ETTL-II will work? I assume aperture control would work or what would be the point? Don't FD lenses have an aperture ring? No EOS (EF) lens has one.

I can't believe such a product would be sold by reputable vendors if it didn't "work". But how well it works I don't know.

Eric
Old Apr 4, 2005, 3:31 PM   #5

eric s wrote:
Quote:

I can't believe such a product would be sold by reputable vendors if it didn't "work". But how well it works I don't know.

Eric

See:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...t=ef+converter

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=65

It appears that there are a lot of considerations (all manual focus and aperture, loss of 1/2 or more of a stop; additional crop; inability to focus to infinity).
perdendosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2005, 3:22 PM   #6

eric s wrote:
Quote:

Do all the metering modes work? Do the older lenses return distance information so that ETTL-II will work? I assume aperture control would work or what would be the point? Don't FD lenses have an aperture ring? No EOS (EF) lens has one.

Eric

I have no idea how well they work, I don't even have a dslr. I just thought if Imacer already had these lens' he/she might be able to get some use out of them. I think where I heard about them is in the Sports/Action forum here at Steve's. I believe there is a user (tswen?) who bought the wrong lens with an old mount on ebay or wastrying to get some use out of his Dad's old equipmentand was getting some manual use out of it using the converter.

/Retreating back to my corner now.:?
GoCubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2005, 11:51 PM   #7

Hey, nothing wrong with the suggestion. Some times its a suggestion like that that saves the day.

I've never used a converter, so I truly have no idea how good or bad they work. I just know that there was some serious changes between the FD and EF lens mounts so they would have to be rather fancy if they did offer all functionality.

Eric
Old Apr 6, 2005, 12:15 AM   #8
djb

I've read that using the converter that it is a manual focus and more than likely will not focus to infinity. Also, i think you need to use stop down mode for aperature. I'm planning on getting a dSLR and have some really nice FD glass but, think I may just sell all my film equipment.

dennis
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2005, 1:18 AM   #9

Imacer wrote:
Quote:
Would a Quantaray QAF 6600 bounce flash, work on my Rebel digital EOS SLR 6.3 MP or cause any damage to my slr?
Check this before connecting an aftermarket flash to your expensive dSLR...

http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html

Jeff
:G
jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote